To blow or not to blow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve kohlhagen

Jan 10, 2012
North Georgia
I have narrowed my search down to the nc30 (leaning towards the 30) or a Drolet Legend ($849 at local store) with a blower included.
Any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other.
I thought I read in one of the posts that Englander was now including a fan with the 30. Is this true?
Found the 30 at HD for $899. What's your best guess if they will drop the price further like last year and when?

Thanks
Steve

boy scout said:
I have narrowed my search down to the nc30 (leaning towards the 30) or a Drolet Legend ($849 at local store) with a blower included.
Any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other.
I thought I read in one of the posts that Englander was now including a fan with the 30. Is this true?
Found the 30 at HD for $899. What's your best guess if they will drop the price further like last year and when?

Thanks
Steve

Can't help you with the pricing but I do know I appreciate the design of the englander more than some others. An example is a lot of the stoves I've looked at have their false back/duct angled at the top so it just blows the air up away from the stove where as the englander angles up then parallel w/stove top, blowing air across the the top plate picking up more heat.

The title almost sounds like a bad movie.....lol....Seriously, having a blower on, even on the low speed, makes a bigger difference in the heat. At least in my application. It helps with the 'whole house convection' that I rely on to keep the air moving. I turn the fan on in late October and the inky time I shut it off is when I take of off the stove to clean and lube it. So if you have a choice, go with a blower.....

We use ours on occasion, it was a free upgrade when we bought the stove. It can't hurt to have it, and it comes in handy when the top temp tries to go over 750 (which isn't too often, but it's happened a few times on a hot reload). It also works nice to help circulate the air.

Shop around, I believe some of the HD's in New York state have dropped the price already. It is going to depend on the store.

Since Georgia is going to have spring much earlier than up north, I'd be looking now if I were you. If a store has 1 left, it'll probably sit at the 899 mark. If they have 6 in inventory, they'll be dropping the price to move them out as lawnmowers and gas grills start pulling into the parking lot.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.