To Build A Fire, version 17

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready for the nor' easter?

Funny you ask that. Between this post & the last one I was in the basement & yard getting stuff under cover, and moving motorbikes in & snowblowers out.

So sort of, but not happy it's coming. Seems I'm never ready.

Now off to pick up our oldest on her way home for university break, then the bball gym with the boys. Busy day.

We're really hijacking, aren't we?

Reactions: flyingcow
You boiler people have to go through this rigamarole every time you put in a load of wood?

Tis the price we pay for only having to visit the boiler once or twice a day.

It really isn't that bad, at least I don't think it is.

K

Reactions: flyingcow
I'm the same as jebatty. Basically 6 or 8 small cedar splits criss crossed over the nozzle, a few pieces of newspaper and light. Then i take the wheel barrow and get a load of wood just outside my boiler room door. By the time I'm back with the wood cedar is crackling, throw wood on top and all done. The top down has worked well for my unit.

This is the way I started but I found having the splits in there then some kindling on top really let the fire get a good hold before I loaded in the rest. More then once I had a fire "look good", walked away and the darn thing would go out on me.

Boy did the old girl work this morning, sub zero temps will do that... I also should have thrown an extra couple of chunks in before I went to bed.

K

You boiler people have to go through this rigamarole every time you put in a load of wood?
Only if you forget to reload before the fire goes out.
I use a piece of rolled paper through the nozzle,a piece of wood on each side any coals over the nozzle,or a few chunks of construction left overs,some crumbled paper,then the small kindling,some bigger stuff,then a nice dry split to cover the nozzle space.Then load for how long I'm going away.
The roll works like a small chimney in the nozzle and pulls the fire hot and fast.Top door open,bypass open.Wait a while and close the bypass.Sometimes it will smoke for awhile,if i notice it opening the bypass for a few minutes solves it.
I haven't perfected the top down yet.
Thomas

This is the way I started but I found having the splits in there then some kindling on top really let the fire get a good hold before I loaded in the rest. More then once I had a fire "look good", walked away and the darn thing would go out on me.

Boy did the old girl work this morning, sub zero temps will do that... I also should have thrown an extra couple of chunks in before I went to bed.

K

Every once in a while I also thought the fire was crackling good and filled it and then found out it didn't take. I will throw in a few small splits then the kindlin'. Don't know why i never tried it that way before.

I've always found newspaper and thick cardboard both seem to generate more ash. I pretty much only save thin cardboard like from 12 packs year around to start fires. I abandoned the propane torch method last year too since it seem to have more smoke starting up. For me it's thin carboard pre-torn in roughly 6" random sized pieces. Handful of these to cover the entire nozzle thrown in loosely with plenty of air around them. Next 2-4 dry very small splits. I use just a butane grill lighter to make a hole through the cardboard down to the nozzle and light 'er up. With the lower door open this fire instantly roars warming up the chimney and turn the few splits red hot within 10". I don't get any smoke at all during these 10" just visable heat from the stack, except for maybe the first minute while the cardboard pile ignites. When i close the lower door and open the upper a moment later, the direction of fire shifts down through the nozzle, up the fire tubes, and into the very hot chimney drawing air in from the open upper door. I have my wagon of wood ready to and load it to the top without having to worry about smoke in my face. Close the door, close the bypass, and start the fan. Gassifying is instant with those 2-4 red hot splits on the bottom just like when you time a reload just right.

1) I use couple handfuls of kindling , load to the top with splits and close the top door .
2) Making sure the bypass damper is open , I light up through the nozzle with a bubba map gas bottle till I hear the fire roaring.
3) Shut the damper and the bottom door and then start the fan on 70.

I also like to trigger the map gas with out it lit for a few seconds then light it so it blows back out the bottom door at me .
I luv the smell of burning hair in the morning.

Huff

Every once in a while I also thought the fire was crackling good and filled it and then found out it didn't take. I will throw in a few small splits then the kindlin'. Don't know why i never tried it that way before.

Give it a shot, nothing really to loose. I really find it to work really well.

K

If we happen to let the fire go out(which only happens in the shoulder seasons) my wife does something with newspaper and kindling which takes a few minutes and sometimes a revisit to be sure it caught. I just reach for the mapp gas torch and inside of 2 minutes I have a fire going, even less time if there are still charcoals in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.