To clean out or not to clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would recommend any liner other than the 2 ply stuff i would absolutely never put that in for any appliance.

That might be fine but i know nothing about the manufacturer. Personally i would go wit ha well known liner manufacturer it might cost a little more but at least that way you have more of a chance of the company being there to honor any warantee claims. Also like i said i would prefer heavy wall liner but i would absolutely choose that single light wall over the 2 ply stuff. This is the type of liner we install for wood stoves We don't use this brand but this type http://www.firesidechimneysupply.co...flex-304-premier-heavywall-chimney-liner.html

bholler, I've found the Champion 304 ss kit from Woodland Direct with a .018 wall thickness and a Fireflex from Fireside with a .017 wall. Complete 6" x 25' kit costs with all components needed (cap, tee, etc.) plus 1/2" insulation kit: Woodland Direct = $969, Fireside = $1130 Looks like we have a winner! Next step is to get a sweep out here to thoroughly clean the "tunnel to Hell" and -if I'm lucky- do the install while they're up on the roof! Placing an order today from Woodstock for a IS Hybrid. I've got my new moisture meter, chainsaw(s), Kubota L4400 with backhoe to lift those big rounds onto a DR tractor-mounted splitter and a 30 year supply of hardwood tops on the ground on the mountain above me. Now, if I can just keep this old house warm until everything is installed! One last word here: HEAT PUMPS SUCK! Thanks everyone for your feedback and very helpful advice. I've learned FAR more here about heating with wood than I would have ever imagined in this process. Just have to now put it all into practice! Wish me luck!

Seasoned wood will keep the stove running better, hotter and the flue cleaner. Try to get 2-3 years worth stacked and drying now. Then it's pretty easy to stay ahead by a few years.

Reactions: CptJera
Seasoned wood will keep the stove running better, hotter and the flue cleaner. Try to get 2-3 years worth stacked and drying now. Then it's pretty easy to stay ahead by a few years.
Land was timbered 2 years ago and they left tops laying everywhere! Much oak, maple, ash, poplar and hickory. Just have to drag them down the mountain, cut them up, split and stack. Fortunately, I have a huge tobacco barn with lots of air flow and room for those stacks. Ought to dry fairly quickly, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.