To Cover or Not to Cover, That is the Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaves in the stack cause absolutely no problem. In fact, very, very few leaves will ever get in there except for those that red squirrels bring in to build nests.

Backwoods Savage said:
Leaves in the stack cause absolutely no problem. In fact, very, very few leaves will ever get in there except for those that red squirrels bring in to build nests.

+1 . . . and any that do accumulate should dry up on the next sunny day and blow away in the wind.

From my experiences, as I have stacked my wood with and without covers. I have noticed that the covered wood seasons slightly slower than uncovered, but not much. However, the uncovered wood tended to have moist pockets of dirt and debris throughout the stack which attracts more bugs. Perhaps this is just me..I don't know....
I have found that tarps are poor covers as it blows around and collects water. With that being said, I prefer to cover my wood and I use metal roof sheating to do so. It works for me.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.