To cover or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
I felled, bucked, and split some oak earlier this spring. I've stacked the splits outside in a fairly open to the wind and sunny spot. Should I just leave the wood there to season uncovered all winter or should I throw a tarp over the top for the fall rains and winter snows? What would you do?

Let it enjoy the wind and sun and save the landfills from another shredded tarp. When it is ready to burn, find a roof or some metal roofing to put it under.

SolarAndWood said:
Let it enjoy the wind and sun and save the landfills from another shredded tarp. When it is ready to burn, find a roof or some metal roofing to put it under.

I'd cover the top-if I wasn't so lazy. Stack the top bark side up and you're good to go.

SolarAndWood said:

The good tarps cover the boat. The tarps too worn for that cover the wood.

I suppose when they get too worn for that they could be dropcloths, but I've rarely seen them too worn to cover wood.

Top cover it.

btuser said:
SolarAndWood said:

I'd cover the top-if I wasn't so lazy. Stack the top bark side up and you're good to go.

Lazy? No one who burns wood is lazy. I don't even stack until the fall of the season I intend to burn it. Until then it sits in a heap I push in and up with the tractor. But, I have a high, dry, sunny and windy spot for the heap. If I didn't, I would probably cross stack and top cover as soon as it was split.

Thanks for the suggestions. I always know where to go to get some quick advice. I must have 10 old tarps stacked up in the garage. I'll make a patch work of different color tarps. Maybe not, I think my wife would have me make it less noticeable in no time. I will throw a top cover on it. Of what? I'm not exactly sure. Thanks.

If the wood is not for this Winter's burning, it doesn't much matter. I would however top cover it next Fall.

BrotherBart said:
Top cover it.

I agree. It can't hurt and can only help (especially if you have dense piles that are difficult to dry out after it rains). I still cover the top on single rows because there is no disadvantage IMO.

My wood sits out in the open uncovered and seems to season pretty well. I don't cover it because I have no convenient way to do so, and I don't think covering is necessary. I will probably try to cover a couple of weeks' supply this winter, to avoid having to dig through snow and make a mess in the house, but I am not too worried about the wood getting rained on.

Man i came in at the right time. I stated to stack some fresh cut wood and i was wondering the same thing! Im a total noob a this so i needed to find the answer! I dont have much so ill leave it uncovered! Eventually down the road when i have tons of wood ill consider making a shed! thanks fellas!

I'm in the leave cut it, split it, stack it and leave it uncovered for the winter and spring . . . and cover it for the Fall before the snow flies proponents. For better or worse, it seems as though this method is working out well for me . . .

LLigetfa said:
If the wood is not for this Winter's burning, it doesn't much matter. I would however top cover it next Fall.
+1

The only reason I cover wood is to keep the snow off. Other than that I leave it bare.

I don't cover mine because my wife hates the look of covered stacks. It seasons just fine that way. I put a cord or so in the basement at a time, and I make sure I bring it down during a dry spell (e.g., no rain for at least the past 3-4 days). Lots of folks don't like having wood in the basement, and I don't want to rehash that debate here, but it works for me. In other words, cover it if you want to, don't cover it if you don't want to.

I think it matters how wide you stack it. Last year I stacked 4x4x8, and the the middle was soaked even with a tarp on top. Second cord I stacked the same but the middle was stacked vertically on end, and dried much better. From now on my uncovered stacks won't go wider than 2'. If I had the open room I'd just leave it in a pile till it time to move it to the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.