To friend Daksy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

k0wtz

Nov 30, 2010
missouri
Bob thank you for your knowledge and patience with never a smart bullying answer to a novice.; With your help I have learned a lot especially stove venting frankly I had never heard of these things. When I bought our V/C stove the seller told me it needed a b-vent pipe what he gave me was just single wall furnace pipe. I was totally confused. Your advice sent me into doing more investigating and reading.

When I hooked gas up to the stove it wouldnt light the pilot wouldnt light I knew I then knew I had a problem. I had paid 500.00 for a nice looking piece of junk in its present state. So i got busy reading all I could about this stove to find out what was happening with it and hopefully figuring out what could be done.

I knew with what I had in this stove I had to figure it out on my own add a service call and labor it was going to be costly far more than it was worth! The first thing I determined it had a discontinued Honeywell gas valve well that was disappointing news. As I read more and more about these stoves and all brands there are a bunch just setting out there that a service guy told the owner it would cost more to fix it then its worth. Really? Do a Craigslist search on gas stoves you will see a bunch of dead nice stoves listed for almost nothing. But as I looked at that valve I found one that looked very close to what I have made by Robert Shaw it didnt have the thermopile but I figured out it wasnt needed for this stove to operate correctly.

Your advice with the venting thing sent me on a whole new learning expiernce even at 77. Am I a furnace stove tec now? No I dont want to be but I can now fix my own gas stove. As for my ultra high efficiency furnace and heat pump would I in no way even consider touching it all I see in there are circuit boards and relays but gas stoves are a completely different thing.

Your patience, friendliness and advice much appreciated on this site

thanks

bob