To much Rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrCRXHF

Burning Hunk
Apr 28, 2008
Mid, Michigan
This last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it rained 8-10 inches by us from the last report i heard. I had a couple of my stacks that have been drying for almost 2 years now uncovered and let me tell you all the nice cracks on the ends of the elm are gone. The bad news is that was the wood i was going to burn this winter but i might have to move to the ash that has been sitting for 1 year under the tarp i guess this fall i will have to take a couple splits down and check with the moisture meter.

Note to self cover wood back up when we get long rain storms.

something i read here a long time ago "wood is not a sponge"

you will be fine - a couple of days in the sun and wind and you will not have any issues with your two year old wood -

Reactions: ScotO
this should evoke an interesting dialogue. some of us cover some don't. some folks (understandably) hate messing with tarps. i personally don't mind too much. would i rather have a big 'ol woodshed? sure would. but to cover my stacks when big rains are coming in and and flipping the tarps off when the sun shines? doesn't bother me at all. i see it as part of my ritual for keeping my house and my family warm. it is a waste of time? it might be in some cases but it gives me peace of mind.

hey could you send us a little of that rain?

OT

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
No worries . . . give it a few days in the sun and wind and the wood will look the same as before . . . unless you're burning sponges and not wood in your stove.

About 4 hours after your drive way has dried, so has the wood. "Seasoning" is referring to loosing the cellular moisture that is trapped in the wood, not surface moisture. Rain will not be "re-absorbed" in to the cells. You are good to go.

send some of that rain this way..so dry here my electric fence housing the goats wont even work...

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
Sure is a lot of rain in that amount of time. We had a hard rain last night with some lightning that lasted just over one hour, we'll take it but we still need more.

zap

About 4 hours after your drive way has dried, so has the wood. "Seasoning" is referring to loosing the cellular moisture that is trapped in the wood, not surface moisture. Rain will not be "re-absorbed" in to the cells. You are good to go.

Thanks for re-assurance.
Every time it rains on my uncovered wood, I say "wood is not a sponge".
But still want to go cover it :)

Thanks for re-assurance.
Every time it rains on my uncovered wood, I say "wood is not a sponge".
But still want to go cover it :)

Only having 3 years under roof making you nervous, Dave?;lol

The wood will dry out soon enough. Unless you're planning on burning it in the next week or so I wouldn't worry.

This last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it rained 8-10 inches by us from the last report i heard. I had a couple of my stacks that have been drying for almost 2 years now uncovered and let me tell you all the nice cracks on the ends of the elm are gone. The bad news is that was the wood i was going to burn this winter but i might have to move to the ash that has been sitting for 1 year under the tarp i guess this fall i will have to take a couple splits down and check with the moisture meter.

Note to self cover wood back up when we get long rain storms.

Not sure where you are compared with us but we certainly have had our share of rain lately. I was told yesterday there was an area between Chesaning and St Charles where they got up to 11" in that one rainfall. We got a bit over 6" in that one. Sure seems odd to see water standing in the fields again. And yes, I'm betting there are many who wish they'd had even half of what we've got. We've been above normal rain since July 1.

As for the wood, worry not. Wood indeed is not a sponge unless it is punky. The outside of the wood may get wet but that dries fast. As for covering, I like hard cover but have used tarps in the past. We usually leave the wood uncovered the first summer (we split and stack in spring) and then cover it before the snow flies using galvanized roofing.

If it doesnt rain tomorrow, I am going to try and start moving my seasoned wood into the wood shed. Like others have said its good to keep it covered but the rain will dry off soon enough....

We have had our wettest summer on record here, but just a few breezy sunny days and the wood piles look like it's never rained at all, particularly on top where the it gets the sun.

Funnily, that's also the bit that's kept driest if it's covered, so I reckon covering v non covering is about even money!!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not sure where you are compared with us but we certainly have had our share of rain lately. I was told yesterday there was an area between Chesaning and St Charles where they got up to 11" in that one rainfall. We got a bit over 6" in that one. Sure seems odd to see water standing in the fields again. And yes, I'm betting there are many who wish they'd had even half of what we've got. We've been above normal rain since July 1.

Up to an inch now for the month. That makes about 1.5" since May. Had to mow, the weeds got greener.

That is sad Jeff.

Heres an interesting take, I heard that wood is constantly releasing resins and tenons which is what leads to the decrease in cellular moisture therefore making the wood dry from the inside out. Soooo.... it's actually good to let it get rained on because it washes off the resins and tenons that will allow for more resins and tenons to be released therefore increasing the drying time.

Hmmm... something to think about.

Reactions: zap
Only having 3 years under roof making you nervous, Dave?;lol

Well yes, but not 3 years under roof yet, the outside stuff out back is 14/15 wood to finish filling the shed.

I'm hoping you guys are right, leaving it out there in long spaced rows, sun & wind (even the rain :eek: ) will dry it faster than all stacked tight in the shed.

I'm hoping you guys are right, leaving it out there in long spaced rows, sun & wind (even the rain :eek: ) will dry it faster than all stacked tight in the shed.

Yep, it will.

Well i will keep a eye on it. The part that got me worried was all the cracks in the end of the elm went closed like it was fresh cut. I am in the city of midland, MI

one of the few in the city that burns wood for main heat not just looks.

After living in the semi-arid southwest for six years, watching plants and animals dry up and die in the drought, wildfires racing through the forests, I swore I'd never again use the phrase, "Too much rain". And I haven't. Drought is a heart-breaking thing to see.

It has been raining at a nice average here in central PA lately (probably around an inch or so per week). I have NEVER seen it this green and lush in August that I can remember. Looks like we may have a beautiful fall, after all. Hoping it stays this way until the leaves change, that is one of my favorite seasons. As for your wood, like the other gurus on this post told ya, that wood will be fine. all you are seeing is surface absorbtion........the inners are dry and will stay dry. I DO, however, top-cover my wood that I plan on burning this winter around this time of year, just to be safe......

Heres an interesting take, I heard that wood is constantly releasing resins and tenons which is what leads to the decrease in cellular moisture therefore making the wood dry from the inside out. Soooo.... it's actually good to let it get rained on because it washes off the resins and tenons that will allow for more resins and tenons to be released therefore increasing the drying time.

But don't think too long about that one Mike. Theories can be good times but hands-on experience counts for more.

Well i will keep a eye on it. The part that got me worried was all the cracks in the end of the elm went closed like it was fresh cut. I am in the city of midland, MI

We're not that far away. Hey, I have some wood that has been uncovered now for 2 years. I would not hesitate to burn it this winter even if I don't cover it. In fact, I won't cover it as it is just another one of those experiments.

I think you mean tannins, not tenons.

I'm just a county west of you. We only got about 2.3 inches that night. Like many others, I don't cover my wood, and never have trouble with the rain/snow drying off fairly quickly - I usually keep a week's worth in the garage and that's all that is covered. I hadn't heard the "wood is not a sponge" phrase, but that has been my experience!

But... the recent rains have sure brought the lawn back to life!!

Status
Not open for further replies.