To my broken up peeps....how do you keep up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
I'm sure I'm not the only one with ailments.....bad knees, back, shoulders, etc. I'm a bit to young to have the pain I have but some injuries in life and running hard in the good ole' days took it's toll. I got knee and back issues that slow me down more than I'd like and currently dealing with a tennis elbow flare up. I got wood to cut and a new stove coming so I have to up my game. For anyone that can relate how do you keep on keeping on?

I have had back and knee problems. The best thing to do is pay attention to your body. If it needs a rest, then it may take putting things off for 4-6 weeks. And figure out what is wrong. That will help with the plan for healing.

Motrin. Lots and lots of Motrin.

I also try stretching the areas to try and loosen up a bit.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with ailments.....bad knees, back, shoulders, etc. I'm a bit to young to have the pain I have but some injuries in life and running hard in the good ole' days took it's toll. I got knee and back issues that slow me down more than I'd like and currently dealing with a tennis elbow flare up. I got wood to cut and a new stove coming so I have to up my game. For anyone that can relate how do you keep on keeping on?
1.) acceptance of reality- with my back, if I screw with it- I’m screwed. I do what I can when i can. I keep up with calisthenics like chin up push ups and etc. can’t overdo it, but being sedentary is the worst thing for it in my opinion-need to find a balance.
2) get tools for better efficiency- I bought a used landscape trailer with ramp. That with a large enough handtruck makes moving medium sized (up to 18 inch or so) rounds way easier than in the past when I’d try to lift 100+ pond logs into the bed of truck. There are tools that help.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
I tell my wife I’m too young for the knee troubles I’m having. Playing rugby in college took its toll years later. I love to hunt and it’s hard dragging deer now. Stacking and processing wood this past summer took time but was good exercise. Doc says exercise helps OA knee pain. Bottom line will need a replacement at some point. Dads in his 90’s and said the replacement he had is the only thing that does not hurt at his age 😂

I can tell you what doesn't hurt quicker than what does hurt. I have 2 joint replacements and plenty of arthritis and tendonitis thrown in for good measure. Battling Plantar Fasciitis also. I try to stay away from NSAIDs if possible, rough on the stomach and kidneys. Doc told me to take Famotidine with it to protect stomach. I just keep going, it just takes twice as long to do half as much.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
@begreen ’s advice of listen to your body and give it rest when needed is true wisdom. I have neck and back issues as well as a recent knee surgery. Sometimes knowing our limitations, rest and ice is super necessary.

I’d also add a few things: 1) Keep your weight down. Added weight makes everything harder. 2) Keep your fitness up. Stronger muscles in the right spots support weak or injured joints. This might mean hiring a trainer or physical therapist to help give you the right stretches and exercises to protect your problematic areas. 3) Use the right tools for leverage and lifting. Processing wood is super fun and a lot of work. Make sure you’re limiting the amount of times you’re bending over, lifting heavy logs etc. When working log splitters keep them at a good standing height so you’re not hunched over the machine.

I hope that’s helpful.

It's the standing for long periods of times at the splitter and bending over picking up and stacking that gets my knees and back pissed off. I have a tractor with a set of forks. I raise the log up waist high and buck from there. But the rounds still need to picked up onto the splitter. I'm not very efficient at sitting at the splitter with it in a horizontal position. I split some wood for roughly 45 minutes several weeks ago and just that flared up the tennis elbow. Thats chit hurts.

The only thing that I can add is acceptance of the fact that you may need assistance with some tasks sometimes. The friend, neighbor, family member who you have nearby is glad to assist because you have seen them through the same process. Even hiring a task done is necessary sometimes, such as buying wood split to blocks delivered.

Get a hookaroon. With a hookaroon you could reduce the number of times you bend over by 60% or more. I think the one made by Fiskars is great. Use it to pick up rounds and splits.

If you need to move big logs, get a cant hook. My wife got me one and it is a huge help moving big log-length rounds and turning long logs during bucking. Again, less bending over.

Get a hookaroon. With a hookaroon you could reduce the number of times you bend over by 60% or more. I think the one made by Fiskars is great. Use it to pick up rounds and splits.
Never saw a hookaroon before. Looks like a good tool. One question, once you slap that thing into a piece of wood and lift it up, how hard is it to remove the piece of wood from the hook. I don't want to make it easier to left and then hard to remove if you know what I mean.

A soft back brace. Something like you see shelve stockers use. It's a game changer at the end of the day for my back.

ETA: Back surgery, 3 knee surgeries, CTR both wrists, rebuilt ankle, pulmonay embolism.

Log tongs and pulp hook. I almost never bend to the ground to pick anything up. If working off the trailer, I use a set of light aluminum ramps from trailer to splitter. Split where you stack, if possible. Log Tongs Pulp Hook
20220319_100707_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I had an inflamed lower disk that put me out of pretty much everything for 6 months 4 years ago, coming back to working with wood was slow, but I was so careful and would plan all my steps ahead, anything heavy was not worth picking up, either the splitter was put vertically or the tractor bucket was used (still is) as a log lift. Small bites and baby steps is the key, remembering that they didnt build Rome in a day keeps things in perspective.
One a side note, after pretty much healing, I've learned to keep myself from over doing it and to focus on back and core strength exercises, the added benefit to those believe it or not is a much better golf game and the development of a single plain golf swing.

Never saw a hookaroon before. Looks like a good tool. One question, once you slap that thing into a piece of wood and lift it up, how hard is it to remove the piece of wood from the hook. I don't want to make it easier to left and then hard to remove if you know what I mean.
It depends on how hard you stick it.

It works well for sticking a log and placing it on your splitting stump (for hand splitting) or on the hydraulic splitter.

After you set the log down, rotate the handle in the direction of the red arrow I drew and it comes out easily. Rotate the handle in the direction of the blue arrow and the hook bites so the log won't fall off the end. You can stick smaller splits with it, then use your free hand to Rotate the split off the hook and then do whatever it is you intended to do with the split.

Screenshot_20230107_135257_Firefox.jpg

It depends on how hard you stick it.

It works well for sticking a log and placing it on your splitting stump (for hand splitting) or on the hydraulic splitter.

After you set the log down, rotate the handle in the direction of the red arrow I drew and it comes out easily. Rotate the handle in the direction of the blue arrow and the hook bites so the log won't fall off the end. You can stick smaller splits with it, then use your free hand to Rotate the split off the hook and then do whatever it is you intended to do with the split.

View attachment 307135
Thanks for that explanation. I appreciate you taking the time.

I went ahead and purchased one online. I guess like any tool I've ever used for the first time, it will take some time to get the feel, and then all of a sudden there will be no thought process and the tool will become a natural extension.

North Idaho energy logs.
Not an easy find on the east coast. I use a lot of the eco-bricks from TS to supplement my wood. Sometimes you get a good batch, sometimes a bad poorly pressed batch. Plus if I spend a lot of money on pre-made burning products, I mind as well just use the damn oil furnace.

Reactions: VintageGal
I have learned to pace myself. I can do the work I used to do in a day, but if I do I'm outa commission for at least 2 days. So when I go cut wood, I fill my saw before I leave and don't take any extra gas. Same goes for splitting. Once the splitter runs outa gas, I'm done for the day. I'm too stupid to quit if I don't run outa gas. Or, maybe I enjoy it all to much.

I'm trying to stay away from the work myself......busted up Back. I just had an Ash tree dropped, cut into 18 inch sections and placed in my ol' processing area, staring at it in the rear of the yard, hearing it calling to me, I'll give it try once things warm up. My plan is to go vertical with the splitter and take breaks when I start feeling the pain kick in.....good music and a few beverages will keep me company.

Reactions: Bobbob
I'm trying to stay away from the work myself......busted up Back. I just had an Ash tree dropped, cut into 18 inch sections and placed in my ol' processing area, staring at it in the rear of the yard, hearing it calling to me, I'll give it try once things warm up. My plan is to go vertical with the splitter and take breaks when I start feeling the pain kick in.....good music and a few beverages will keep me company.
I may try vertical on the splitter again. I gotta find a seat that is the right height because being seated and slouched inflames my back just as quick as anything else.

I ordered a hookaroon, gonna give that tool a try. I have pretty much everything else. Log cant/roller, tractor for lifting, tongs.

I'm fortunate that in my mid 60s I don't have knee troubles. I've had back pain since my late teens. Ironically, as I've aged I don't have episodes a couple times a year or so where I can't stand up straight, and in extreme pain for about a week. My late dad said that would happen, he knew - and was right. Also ironically, picking up something heavy usually didn't cause my back to 'go out', but if I picked up a pen from the floor and moved the wrong way that would do it. I'm more active now, especially in winter - and weigh significantly less than I was when in my 20s. When cutting/splitting wood I do pace myself and take breaks. That's one of the pluses (at this point) of heating with a wood stove - the physical work it takes.

I sympathize and can relate to those who have back pain and conditions - or any painful situation. I don't own a log splitter, but do plan to get one at some point. My late neighbor, who I bought my first wood stove from, (he bought a larger one) was still splitting wood in his early 90s with an electric splitter and kindling with hand tools. He made it to age 98.

Reactions: Bobbob and 1kzwoman
I personally prefer the Logrite pickaroon to the Fiskars. I like the hook more and it's made locally in the USA. It's a little more expensive but worth it imo. They offer multiple sizes and it's all metal construction: