To rebuild or not to rebuild...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which type of chimney should I go with?

• Rebuild existing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exterior metal chimney

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP; find a union construction site and ask for the bricklayers trailer/foreman. Explain that you have a possible side job, and be prepared to leave your name and number.
so it is ok for union guys to under cut everyone else in their spare time but not ok for the amish?

Congratulations. To the OP; find a union construction site and ask for the bricklayers trailer/foreman. Explain that you have a possible side job, and be prepared to leave your name and number. From the video you posted, someone burned a stove in that chimney for sure, liner or no. Every old house that has an uninsulated, unlined chimney has had a wood stove or fireplace burned in it; thats why the chimney was built in the first place. That doesn't make it appropriate for a modern stove or insert. Find someone who can tell you honestly if the chimney needs rebuilt. Keep in mind that the chimney at this point is really only a chase for the liner to live in. As long as the masonry is physically capable of standing up, the correct diameter, correctly installed liner that you purchase will do the rest.

Wow thanks for being so honest in your post. All of what you said sounds completely logical to me and that's been my biggest problem with the two chimney companies that came in. I think I have decided to get the chimney looked at and fixed, but maybe not this year (winter is coming after all). So yeah, It will get fixed and it's great to know the bottom part of the chimney looks to be ok. My next and final order of business is to either get a new stainless steel insulated liner... or could I insulate the rigid steel liner that's already there? If I can, I can't find the product on any websites... maybe I am not looking hard enough?

My next and final order of business is to either get a new stainless steel insulated liner... or could I insulate the rigid steel liner that's already there? If I can, I can't find the product on any websites... maybe I am not looking hard enough?
Again i cant tell for sure from your pics but it looks fine to me no reason to replace it. Like i said remove it clean the chimney properly then insulate and reinstall it.

Reactions: bukes007
I will also say that if you find someone you trust to do it on the side for cheap go ahead but be aware they are most likely uninsured and if something goes wrong it will be your problem. But they may also do a great job for allot less than you would pay elsewhere so you will have to weigh your options completely.

Reactions: jotul? and bukes007
so it is ok for union guys to under cut everyone else in their spare time but not ok for the amish?
To bholler; I was going to PM you but then thought that we might as well finish the way we started.
#1 - To address your last quote: It's ok for anyone to undercut anyone. Capitalism works. I know that I received four years of apprentice training, nights and weekends, through my union, while receiving on the job training daily at the same time. After that time was done, I was deemed to be a Journeyman Bricklayer, and have been for 13 years. I am a professional. I am a Union craftsman.
#2 - To further address your last quote: I grew up in a non union environment, My father owns an automotive workshop.
#3 - I admire your persistent effort to help less experienced posters to this site. I read this site daily even if I don't log in or comment. Mostly hoping to benefit from knowledge provided by others; you are one of the others.
#4 - We're arguing the same point, hopefully to the OP's benefit.
#5 - If I was a CSIA certified sweep I would give liner suggestions to the OP, but that is beyond my knowledge, I bow to your superior knowledge of liners.
#6 - If we should ever meet in person, I will definitely buy you a beer.Or punch you in the nose. Or both.
To the OP; get the masonry looked at by some professional or other. Keep the central location if at all possible. Jotul? out.

#1 - To address your last quote: It's ok for anyone to undercut anyone.
I agree i just found it amusing that you complained about the amish undercutting. like i said it doesn't bother me we have plenty of work and dont worry about beating others price we charge what we need to to make a living

#2 - To further address your last quote: I grew up in a non union environment, My father owns an automotive workshop.
i am not anti union at all that was not what i meant just commenting on your post

#3 - I admire your persistent effort to help less experienced posters to this site. I read this site daily even if I don't log in or comment. Mostly hoping to benefit from knowledge provided by others; you are one of the others.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.