To replace or not replace (my current stove piping)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
I'm replacing my old pre-epa stove which currently has 6" single wall stove pipe. When I put the new stove in should I replace the stove piping as well? Or reuse what I can? If I should replace the stove piping with the double wall piping?

What is the current chimney setup. It isn't all single wall, is it?

I haven't taken the stove pipe off the stove yet so I'm not 100% sure. I believe its all single wall from the stove to where it joins into the chimney. Is there an easy way to determine from looking at it if it's all single wall?

And the chimney itself is....? Clay tiles? Class A? How old?

Clay tiles, 20ish years old.

What size? How tall?

Stove pipe is 6" comes out of the stove about 2 feet to an elbow and then another 18" to the chimney. The chimney itself is an exterior, masonry chimney clay lining that is about 20 feet tall.

Yeah.... and what size is the clay tiles?

There is more to this than just worrying about your single wall connector pipe.

I replaced mine with double wall pipe...didn't have but glad I did. If you're getting a new stove sure replace it ...the whole set up will look better. You know how ratty that single wall gets.

I would replace it pipe is cheap houses aren't. I put single wall in my house and have had some hot fires and it has never turned red! Just keep your clearances up to standards

jtp10181 said:
Yeah.... and what size is the clay tiles?

There is more to this than just worrying about your single wall connector pipe.

Really? I'm new to this (obviously,huh?) The chimney having an impact on the type of stove pipe to use, I honestly never would have realized that. It's a clay circular liner doesn't appear that much wider then the 6" stove pipe.

I agree with the others....just replace the pipe with some new stove pipe and make sure your clearances match what the stove manufacturer states. Its cheap, and will look new like your stove.

Also make sure your chimney has been cleaned.

Since you have such a short run of pipe you might as well replace it, it won't cost much. Assuming you have enough clearance, single wall is fine and will get you a little more heat output from the stove. I used Heatfab brand pipe on my stove last year, it is seamless and has held up very well so far.

I think what JTP was getting at is that you may want to review the ENTIRE exhaust system. Terminating into a clay lined chimney is more than likely the questionable area. It has been done many times for many years, but the general feeling is that the better solution is to run a liner to the top, not just into the clay flue. Your mileage may vary.

ricardo loma, do you even read posts before you reply? He has single wall pipe inside that dumps into clay tiles, why would you get the idea he has a Class A system?

gangsplatt, if you clay liner is really 6" ID then you are pretty much stuck and your best bet would be to replace the connector pipe with some double wall. If the thimble in the room is just 6" that doesn't mean the whole system is. If you have a larger clay liner it would be a good idea to reline it down to 6".

Status
Not open for further replies.