To the Timid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Well, technically I am on self imposed leave. I have seen a lot of new members register, but I have seen few post. I think our old fart hostility has made some of you afraid to post. It may be an important question to you, but you think it's dumb to us. Well, you are wrong. A well thought out question will earn you untold respect, and even a dumb one will get you a postiive from someone. I am personally ashamed that we seem to flame for no good reason and then have to justify bad behavior. I'm guilty along with others, but hope you can see beyond us old fools.

All new to the hearth in my mind are welcome, and because I'm the ugliest Westerner I have the right. The big chilly is coming, so let's share the secrets of staying warm.

UncleRich said:
Well, technically I am on self imposed leave. I have seen a lot of new members register, but I have seen few post. I think our old fart hostility has made some of you afraid to post. It may be an important question to you, but you think it's dumb to us. Well, you are wrong. A well thought out question will earn you untold respect, and even a dumb one will get you a postiive from someone. I am personally ashamed that we seem to flame for no good reason and then have to justify bad behavior. I'm guilty along with others, but hope you can see beyond us old fools.

All new to the hearth in my mind are welcome, and because I'm the ugliest Westerner I have the right. The big chilly is coming, so let's share the secrets of staying warm.

I'll quote UR's sentiments because they 'bear repeating' since they closely mirror my own sentiments. While I might be a bit younger... I tend to "act a bit older" (much like UR is hinting at).

But its' all in good clean fun. The hearth community is by far "one of the friendliest" on the WWW.

One way or the other...Here on the forum...you will 'stay warm at the end of the day'. ;)

Uncle Rich, I think you are perhaps being too hard on yourself and the "oldtimers".

I am just a newborn babe here in the forums. I have found nothing but willing, welcoming, informative, interesting, helpful, entertaining, and even damned funny responses to my posts. (Of course, maybe I haven't been here long enough yet for some of you old coots to really take after my case!)

No, seriously, you folks here are great, and I for one really appreciate the tons of shared experience, insights, helpful and explanatory info, and especially the colorful opinions you all have shared.

I would second your motion to the new members to fire away with questions---whether the asker may think them dumb or otherwise.

After all, a question unasked pretty much guarantees a question unanswered.

builderbob (still pondering some more of my own questions for eventual asking here at the forums)

I agree with UR in most respects, except that I would urge that people at least TRY to use the search function, and check the WIKI first, and see if your question is one that has been asked and answered many times already... Answering the same question repeatedly does get old after a while. If you can't find the answer, or don't understand part of it, certainly ask away. However I much prefer those that have tried to help themselves first!

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I agree with UR in most respects, except that I would urge that people at least TRY to use the search function, and check the WIKI first, and see if your question is one that has been asked and answered many times already... Answering the same question repeatedly does get old after a while. If you can't find the answer, or don't understand part of it, certainly ask away. However I much prefer those that have tried to help themselves first!

Gooserider

Good point.

However, many newbies (like I was) are initially unaware of the WIKI (see my "What's a WIKI?" question) and even the search functions.

If a question has been asked and answered many times, perhaps a good response to the same question asked again, is a link to the best one or two threads which already best answered it.

I know, some of my first questions got responses linking me to just such prior threads, and I as a newbie appreciated that no end.

Just a suggestion.

builderbob

To builder bob: There is a DIY forum here where construction guestions can be asked. Having build over 100 home and framed hunderds more I might be able to help you.

Partucularly when it comes to heating or cooling, there are way to increase effeciencies just by better locations of ducting. Somee ideas will save many more times their cost by being more effective and less fuel or transmission loses. Even the quality Job of insulation saves money. Your window choices saves money. Wise decisions not only saves you money but conserves fuel and all benifit from that. There are things that should be addressed as well as supplemental wood heating appliance. The appliance becomes more effective if you are able to prevent heat loss.

A late welcome as I was not participating on the forums when you first arrived

I for one don't mind seeing the same questions asked from time to time. Sure, many of the responses are the same almost to a word, but each time there are new thoughts and information added. Don't forget, as new members join there are fresh eyes reading what to them is a new question, giving them the chance to share their experience.

Welcome to all the new members' I hope you find your time here well spent and informative.

elkimmeg said:
To builder bob: There is a DIY forum here where construction guestions can be asked. Having build over 100 home and framed hunderds more I might be able to help you.

Partucularly when it comes to heating or cooling, there are way to increase effeciencies just by better locations of ducting. Somee ideas will save many more times their cost by being more effective and less fuel or transmission loses. Even the quality Job of insulation saves money. Your window choices saves money. Wise decisions not only saves you money but conserves fuel and all benifit from that. There are things that should be addressed as well as supplemental wood heating appliance. The appliance becomes more effective if you are able to prevent heat loss.

A late welcome as I was not participating on the forums when you first arrived

I'll check out the DIY area. Thanks for mentioning it. You can bet I do have lots of questions about having a home built---never having been through the process before.

I'll peruse the DIY---and I'll use the search function there *before* posting my questions!!

builderbob

Howdy folks. Builderbob, if you've never built a home then why the name? What is it exactly qualifies you to hang that shingle? Ah, I'm just giving you a hard time... but I am curious, lol. Welcome aboard.

I agree that participating is the best way to learn, regardless if the question has been asked before. The new blood makes the board interesting. Besides, who would you guys (the pros, experts) dish your words of wisdom to without such a captive audience? The forum at that point may as well just be one big ash can. New blood is good.

Remember when Big Nate (I think it was him) posted the picture of the install of the stove pipe through the side of his garage? That was hillarious. Here are all these pictures of beautiful, properly installed stoves, then wham! Big Nate's widow maker install. I think Roospike called it the meth lab, lmao. In any case, my point is that there will most likely be another "Show us your install" thread started this year at some point. Hopefully the new blood will cough off some more blunders and more beautiful installs.

So yeah newbies, post 'em up! Don't be shy. Possibly some gentle ribbing here and there, maybe bashing you over the head until you are edumacated, but at the end of the day this forum will help you with whatever it is you are tackling. I can say for certain I would not have had the good safe install I have today had it not been for the help of this board... particularly Elk who went out of his way to help. Hearth is by far the best source for finding information on your wood burner. And after you've squeezed out all the information you want on the board you'll stick around for the heck of it, because it's just plain fun.

-Kevin

wrenchmonster said:
Howdy folks. Builderbob, if you've never built a home then why the name? What is it exactly qualifies you to hang that shingle? Ah, I'm just giving you a hard time... but I am curious, lol. Welcome aboard.

-Kevin

I took the name in one sense as a play on what is familiar to lots of people. You've heard of the kids toy or cartoon character--builderbob? The name had a familiarity about it, and I liked that, and we are planning on our dreamhome building project, and my name really is Bob, so it seemed appropriate.

In another sense, I was a bit more serious---trying to elevate myself, on this project of a dreamhome we have launched, as the guy in charge---builderbob.

But perhaps a more instantaneously "accurate" name would have been *bumblerbob*.

At any rate, I've made too many posts now under "builderbob" to even think about changing it at this point. I do get tired of typing the whole thing out and would go to "BB". But there is already a "BB" here, and I don't want to tangle with him!

So,
builderbob

I can live with that, though it did confuse me BB. Maybe Building Bob would be better? But it's more tolerable than the handle of Super Hunky, so be it.

builderbob said:
wrenchmonster said:

-Kevin

I took the name in one sense as a play on what is familiar to lots of people. You've heard of the kids toy or cartoon character--builderbob? The name had a familiarity about it, and I liked that, and we are planning on our dreamhome building project, and my name really is Bob, so it seemed appropriate.

In another sense, I was a bit more serious---trying to elevate myself, on this project of a dreamhome we have launched, as the guy in charge---builderbob.

But perhaps a more instantaneously "accurate" name would have been *bumblerbob*.

At any rate, I've made too many posts now under "builderbob" to even think about changing it at this point. I do get tired of typing the whole thing out and would go to "BB". But there is already a "BB" here, and I don't want to tangle with him!

So,
builderbob

We all came to the Hearth with a certain image of our knowledge and boy were we shocked. I watched a long time and realized I was in trouble, but I saw some gentle folk that wouldn't take the Splitting Wedge and do their job on me. If you need a moniker, let the group choose, I'd say, "bb", or "bBob", but most of us can type and you will know when you get a reference. You are to late to be like me, because we now know what you want to learn. I'm saving my stupid questions for another day. Just like to share with folks that think it's OK to protect the environment while saving a few bucks and getting a hypnotic trip looking at the burn.

Is it true, answer me seriously, is this forum populated by former hippies? I have a photo album full of pictures from the Morrison, Colorado area where couples would drive their Mercedes and BMWs and Volvos, over to the side of the road change to their bell bottoms and tie dyed shirts and foot it to Red Rocks for a Grateful Dead Concert. Were you there?

How many remember Pete Seeger, or Rosalie Sorrels, or Bruce Phillips? Gotcha. Well, I'll let in the Riders of the Purple Sage and the folks at the Cowboy Poetry Gathering.

littlesmokey said:
You are to late to be like me, because we now know what you want to learn. I'm saving my stupid questions for another day.

The other day in another post, you came into the conversation, after I introduced myself and asked "who are you?", you seemed to take that try for a two-sided introduction as some kind of insult. Seems you still don't want to introduce yourself.

To each his own.

builderbob

builderbob said:
littlesmokey said:
You are to late to be like me, because we now know what you want to learn. I'm saving my stupid questions for another day.

The other day in another post, you came into the conversation, after I introduced myself and asked "who are you?", you seemed to take that try for a two-sided introduction as some kind of insult. Seems you still don't want to introduce yourself.

To each his own.

builderbob

Sorry you took things that way, that wasn't my intention. I just a very private person and share only bits and pieces. Didn't mean to offend you.

Status
Not open for further replies.