to use traeger burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Feb 7, 2012
east central ohio
hello all,
its getting cold here in Ohio mornings and im getting ready to start my Traeger gbu 070 for the first time.
so far i have $1,200 in the unit, $980 in the Dura-vent pro vertical vent (19ft plus some fittings, ) and $400 in the custom duct work with back flow baffles. if my calculations are correct i should see a pay back right at 2 years over Propane. thats with $1,000 a year in pellets.

so first of the dumb questions. my Traeger is primarily a corn furnace but its perfectly capable of burning other fuels such as wood pellets. the owners manual is vague at best. it mentions using the "removable stainless steel burn pot" to remove clinkers. im assuming that the clinkers are a corn thing and i will not see them using pellets, currect? also it says to use the ash door to remove the ash. but there seems to be no reason for the lower ash door as it gives you access to nothing. did the Traeger come in 2 configurations? one for corn and one for pellets? do i use the SS burn pot with pellets? or do i allow the pellets to fall to the ash box bottom, and remove with vacuum? seems to me i would still use the pot to catch ashes and then dump it daily.

im sure this is a stupid question but hey im a newbie.

a pre-thank you for all and any responses.

jim

Can you post pics? Some stoves came with different pots. One for pellets. One for Corn.

I wouldn't remove anything. The pellets should drop into the pot and burn there. The air coming through the pot will eject most (hopefully) of the ash. But pics of the set-up will help better understand what your talking about.

I remember seeing that on Craiglist last year. You got a good deal on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.