1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

To what length have you stored wood in the house before a winter

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by breamer999, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Isaac Carlson

Isaac Carlson Member

We try to keep a month supply in the house.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful setup, Ohio!

i bring in about a week's worth from a covered stack by basement back door. on dry days, my sons bring wood from a stack in yard and stack it there. I have to wait untill a few good freezes before letting them carry, though -lotsa black widows here.

I have a special "sketchy" stack with any big knot holes/hollows that they never touch. I load those straight in to the stove on dry days when I'm coming in from the yard. Wife brought me a giant BWidow in a pint glass she caught in the bathroom a few months back :eek:
    She was a bit salty 'bout that.:)
    OhioBurner© likes this.
  3. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Heckuva resume !!
    Taylor Sutherland likes this.
  4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    I learned my lesson year 1 trying to dig wood out of the snow. I now have 8 cord under a roof within 20 feet of the stove by Thanksgiving every year.

Attached Files:

5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I guess my garage is fairly deep, since I can get 4 cords in there stacked against the wall two rows deep, up to the ceiling.
  6. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    My wife would divorce me if I tried that.
  7. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Heh. I can see you don't have cats. Mine would be climbing that stack in minutes, and then scrambling like hell to avoid getting caught in the avalanche of splits heading for the stove. :) (I say that with envy for the lovely stack, but in the end, I'd rather have cats.)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    No, no cats here. I like cats but our Jack Russel doesn't. Is that falcon in your avatar a pet? Its a beautiful bird.

Thanks bud. But geeze thats freaky about the black widows, I've only seen one in my life so far and on a camping trip. We have certain spiders around here and a lot in the house - mostly the basement - I don't know what they are but I've never seen em in the woodpile, atleast after a good freeze.
  9. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    If stacking something in the garage is enough to get someone into a divorce I'd be thinking about doing it a little sooner! >>[/quote]

OhioBurner, the person I quoted was not stacking wood in their garage.
  10. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    You must have caught that quick! When I re read it I realized you wern't quoting the post I thought and I removed it within a few minutes!
  11. keninmich

keninmich Member

Loc:
    south-central michigan
    I have two corners of the basement piled high. One side is oak and walnut and a little maple.
    The other side is almost all cherry. Have some ash too that i have not brought in.

Enough down there right now to last till at least Feb.

Other than an occasional fly i have never had an issue with bugs either.

I have a tall rolling wood holder that i fill about once a day or so.
  12. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Nah, not a pet. I wish. But raptors don't do "pet" anyway because they're utterly solitary birds outside of breeding season.
  13. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    I try to keep about a weeks supply inside and the rest is covered just outside the door.

Attached Files:

14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I usually have around 1 to 2 weeks worth in the basement, more if theirs lots of rain or snow in the forecast. I don't bring wood into the house until AFTER we get some freezing weather due to spiders and bugs.....

When I do bring the wood in, I "clink" the pieces together as I'm pulling them off of the stack to knock the dormant spiders and bugs off. In the warmer weather I make a cord stack off of the back porch to pick from, that stack usually lasts around a month and a half, depending on what wood it's comprised of....
  15. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    I have a half garage bay under the house that doesnt fit a car but holds about a cord of wood. I sprayed all around it for bug control, so far so good. typically have a day or 2 worth of wood in my wood box next to the stove.
  16. CageMaster

CageMaster Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Canada
    we use a patio type deck box inside the house...usually holds 2-3 days worth of wood depending on the outside temp and species of wood being burned at the time...the wood shed are only a few feet away off the back deck...bring wood into the house in rubbermaid totes and use the wheelbarrow to spare the back getting them too the deck.
  17. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Enoug for one burn at a time. The rest is in a rack on my covered front porch.