Toasty + New Pellet Stove User Updates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xraycer

Nov 2, 2011
Pelham NH
Came home from work this morning at 8am and walked into a toasty 70degree house. Temp outside was in the mid 30s last night. I set the stove last night on 2 feed (9 highest) and 4 blower (9highest) burning Geneva pellets. My house was 70 degrees both downstair(where the stove is) all the way upstair (3bedrooms). I was ecstatic that the house stayed this warm considering my house is 2500sq/ft with a large addition that has cathedral ceiling. The only fan running is a ceiling fan in the room with the cathedral ceiling. DuraVent pipes have been problem free. Only sealed section is the appliance adaptor portion. There are 2 other seams that are inside the house that are not sealed and so far no leaks. Haven't had the propane heat on for over 2 weeks since the initial stove install...........AWESOME!!!

Also been busy with a couple of pellet power projects.
1) Exterior exhaust vent for the wet/dry vac for ash cleaning. I figured instead of constantly replacing expensive HEPA filters, I vent the vac exhaust directly outside. I drilled a 2.5" through the wall and ran a 2" pvc pipe through it, and this pvc section is held in place with a pvc coupler on both ends. My 1.78" vac hose fits perfectly into the 2" pvc pipe. I placed a drain cap at the outside end to keep critters out of pipe. Also, I plan to use this access to run an extension cord through when a generator is needed.

2) The pellets I've used so far has been very dusty, so I built a pellet "cleaner" with mostly scrap materials I had on hand. Just spend a little bit of money on the pvc tubage. Don't see any more dust when filling the hopper.

Attachments

• ashvent1.jpg
    ashvent1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 718
  • ashvent3.jpg
    ashvent3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 717
  • ashvent4.jpg
    ashvent4.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 717
  • ashventext.jpg
    ashventext.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 722
  • pelletcleaner.jpg
    pelletcleaner.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 717
Very nice looking setup for sure. I love coming home to a nice warm house as well. I ask myself why I waited so long before doing this!

I figured instead of constantly replacing expensive HEPA filters

I've been using the same HEPA filter going on 3 years now,,,, every now and then I just take it out and tap i around,,, it seems to clean up really well,,,,, but I do like the idea for the trough wall,,,,,,

John

Nice job on the PVC through the wall. Thats a good idea. But my filter has a lot of life in it and if I put one more hole in the side of my house. My Wife will put a hole in my head!.

Looks great. Pellet Sifters work great. Love mine.

DexterDay said:
Nice job on the PVC through the wall. Thats a good idea. But my filter has a lot of life in it and if I put one more hole in the side of my house. My Wife will put a hole in my head!.

LOL I was reluctant to tell my wife about this exhaust project until after it was done figuring I'd get that very same reaction, but I did ended up telling her before doing it and she was totally ok with it. I think she has a lot more faith in me now after seeing how well my install came out and how well the stove has been working. Plus, she probably love the idea of venting all those micro-ash out of the house.

xraycer said:
DexterDay said:

LOL I was reluctant to tell my wife about this exhaust project until after it was done figuring I'd get that very same reaction, but I did ended up telling her before doing it and she was totally ok with it. I think she has a lot more faith in me now after seeing how well my install came out and how well the stove has been working. Plus, she probably love the idea of venting all those micro-ash out of the house.

Well you did a good job. Everything looks good, all the way down to the OAK install.

How is that 25-EP working. This year has been an influx of 25-EP's and 10-CPM's. Up until this year, there were about 2 of each.

You and GrahaminVa have beautiful installs. Looks great. Let us know how they burn after you get a few ton under the belt. Im interested in seeing the burn pot and liner as compared to the CPM. If they are basically the same, just without the agitator?

Keep up the good work. Oh and BTW, its obvious you have the "Sickness".

Great idea on the vacuum vent.. I made a big mess the other day. I had been using the "bags" and they seemed okay. But they weren't! Got a HEPA now...

Pellet sifter looks great too. Makes less of a mess in the house and i'm sure it does something else good too. I know my 5 year old loves to dump the pellets in. LOL!

I have to build a pellet sifter...The pro-pellets are full of dust. Somerset's, not nearly as bad. Used to fill my dump bucket in the house, Now the wife has banned that, and I have to fill-up in the garage. May steal either your or Dexter's pellet sifter idea!

xraycer said:
Came home from work this morning at 8am and walked into a toasty 70degree house. Temp outside was in the mid 30s last night. I set the stove last night on 2 feed (9 highest) and 4 blower (9highest) burning Geneva pellets. My house was 70 degrees both downstair(where the stove is) all the way upstair (3bedrooms). I was ecstatic that the house stayed this warm considering my house is 2500sq/ft with a large addition that has cathedral ceiling. The only fan running is a ceiling fan in the room with the cathedral ceiling. DuraVent pipes have been problem free. Only sealed section is the appliance adaptor portion. There are 2 other seams that are inside the house that are not sealed and so far no leaks. Haven't had the propane heat on for over 2 weeks since the initial stove install...........AWESOME!!!

Also been busy with a couple of pellet power projects.
1) Exterior exhaust vent for the wet/dry vac for ash cleaning. I figured instead of constantly replacing expensive HEPA filters, I vent the vac exhaust directly outside. I drilled a 2.5" through the wall and ran a 2" pvc pipe through it, and this pvc section is held in place with a pvc coupler on both ends. My 1.78" vac hose fits perfectly into the 2" pvc pipe. I placed a drain cap at the outside end to keep critters out of pipe. Also, I plan to use this access to run an extension cord through when a generator is needed.

2) The pellets I've used so far has been very dusty, so I built a pellet "cleaner" with mostly scrap materials I had on hand. Just spend a little bit of money on the pvc tubage. Don't see any more dust when filling the hopper.

I have serviced and installed stoves for 6yrs, that is a hell of a set.
Very vice

Eatonpcat said:
I have to build a pellet sifter...The pro-pellets are full of dust. Somerset's, not nearly as bad. Used to fill my dump bucket in the house, Now the wife has banned that, and I have to fill-up in the garage. May steal either your or Dexter's pellet sifter idea!

If you ever need help. Just ask. Im only 20 min away. Wont let you have mine, but I will be more than glad to help. I have plenty of gutter gaurd and 1/4" dowel rod left over, along with some PVC. That would be of "No Charge" . Just a couple beers..... ;-P

Very nice set-up....cool idea to add the outside cleaning port for the vacuum.

The pellet cleaner will almost eliminate any build-up of fines in the auger or bottom of the hopper.

Nice!

DexterDay said:
Eatonpcat said:

If you ever need help. Just ask. Im only 20 min away. Wont let you have mine, but I will be more than glad to help. I have plenty of gutter gaurd and 1/4" dowel rod left over, along with some PVC. That would be of "No Charge" . Just a couple beers..... ;-P

Thank Dex...I may take you up on this one... Always have cold beer on hand (in hand!), I probably have enough left over crap to make something!

xraycer said:
Came home from work this morning at 8am and walked into a toasty 70degree house. Temp outside was in the mid 30s last night. I set the stove last night on 2 feed (9 highest) and 4 blower (9highest) burning Geneva pellets. My house was 70 degrees both downstair(where the stove is) all the way upstair (3bedrooms). I was ecstatic that the house stayed this warm considering my house is 2500sq/ft with a large addition that has cathedral ceiling. The only fan running is a ceiling fan in the room with the cathedral ceiling.

Came home this morning(Fri) and the house was 68degrees with same 2feed/4blow setting. Low was 28degrees last night. :)

Forecast says the next 2 days are going to be cool, upper 40s high/mid 20s low, stove will be running 24/7 for a couple of days at the very least. Curious to see how bags of pellets I'll go through this weekend.

I run mine normally on heat 2, blower 3, and the thermostat set on 71 with a 2* swing. It was 28* this morning here too and I burned 1/2 bag last night. With days temps in the upper 40's and nights in 20's I think I will burn around 1 bag a day.

Looks great. I like the setup for the vac.

Thanks for all the comps, everybody!

DexterDay said:

second that

kykel said:
DexterDay said:

second that

2 holes for the Quad (exhaust and OAK) upstairs. The basement I have the woodstove (large hole for exhaust) and I am trying to "Fab" solid pipe (Think 3" exhaust pipe) for the OAK. Also another hole in the basement for the Fahrenheit furnace and the same kinda OAK for it, that I am making for the Woodstove.

6 holes total... She says "No More"!

Status
Not open for further replies.