Today's locust score.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snigg

Apr 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
Saw an ad on craigslist this afternoon, 2 miles from my house, for what it said was 2 locust trees already cut to length laying next to the road. I really don't have much room left here, but how could I not check this out? I thought my girlfriend was gonna flip out when I said I was gonna go pick up some more wood, but amazingly she said she would go along for a ride. We got there and sure enough the ad was spot on. I threw a few chunks that I could easily manage into the truck but left the vast majority of it. I wish I could have taken more, but I got nowhere to put it. If anyone in the Pittsburgh area is looking to stock up, let me know and I can give you directions to where I got this. I can't vouch for whether or not there's any left though.

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 187
Saw an ad on craigslist this afternoon, 2 miles from my house, for what it said was 2 locust trees already cut to length laying next to the road. I really don't have much room left here, but how could I not check this out? I thought my girlfriend was gonna flip out when I said I was gonna go pick up some more wood, but amazingly she said she would go along for a ride. We got there and sure enough the ad was spot on. I threw a few chunks that I could easily manage into the truck but left the vast majority of it. I wish I could have taken more, but I got nowhere to put it. If anyone in the Pittsburgh area is looking to stock up, let me know and I can give you directions to where I got this. I can't vouch for whether or not there's any left though.

Beauty! I heart black locust.

Reactions: ScotO and blujacket
That was not much wood. Maybe a few days worth?

Maybe a day

Snigg, do you have an extra bedroom in the house somewhere? o_O you don't really need a dining room, do ya??>>
You GOTTA make room for the locust when you can get it..::-)..that's the Holy Grail of firewood (well, that, osage and hophornbeam)........

Reactions: clemsonfor
Scotty, Love where I read that you would knock some odd the bill I. They let u keep the locust!

Reactions: ScotO
Scotty, Love where I read that you would knock some odd the bill I. They let u keep the locust!
I'm a locust addict......I just cannot imagine cutting locust trees down and having to walk away from them.....
the very thought of it kills me...<>;em

Reactions: clemsonfor
Snigg, do you have an extra bedroom in the house somewhere? o_O you don't really need a dining room, do ya??>>
You GOTTA make room for the locust when you can get it..::-)..that's the Holy Grail of firewood (well, that, osage and hophornbeam)........
Believe me I did not like having to leave most of it there. I've got wood stacked at my house as well as at both of my parents houses. I passed the location along to a buddy, hopefully he grabbed some.

Reactions: ScotO
.I just cannot imagine cutting locust trees down and having to walk away from them..... the very thought of it kills me...

At the rate you acquire wood, you'll soon need to get a bigger house just to have more space to heat. That, or break some windows.

Reactions: milleo and ScotO
Scotty,

Is there osage in your neck of the woods or in Pennsylvania? I have never seen any and from what it looks like, it makes locust look like an ice cube.

from what it looks like, it makes locust look like an ice cube.

Osage orange is to black locust as white oak is to black walnut, i.e. about 23% heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.