Today's Outdoor Recreation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It was 3°F this morning. NICE! I was able to spend most of the day making firewood, in between milking the cows. Once in awhile, when I take a big swing with my maul, I blow my overalls out. Well, today was one of those days. So, I had to take a little time to rebuild them before milking tonight. By the way, a little tip: I never use regular sissy cotton thread like the ladies use. I use only the best for my overalls; Stren Super Braid, 20 lb test. They never come apart in that spot again!

A couple of today's targets:
IMG_9949%20(600x800).jpg

Another of today's targets:
IMG_9950%20(800x600).jpg

The last load of the day:
IMG_9951%20(800x600).jpg

The trail home:
IMG_9955%20(800x600).jpg

So you were feeling a cold breeze today , aye. I like the pictures , thanks for excluding the overalls.

CALJREICH said:
So you were feeling a cold breeze today , aye. I like the pictures , thanks for excluding the overalls.
You're welcome! HAHA! Actually, I never thought to take a picture of the blow-out overalls or I probably would have!

I prefer PowerPro braid! Man that's funny, but I bet that stitching will last! 3 degrees - you must have put on 7 layers!

quads, what happened to your snow? But it appears you are possibly getting some more right now.

quads, If I had a place like that to cut wood I would be sure I had died and gone to heaven. I have burned for 35 years and love every part of it. But I don't have any land, and scronge my wood where ever I can get it and there aren't many places in the IL flat lands that look like that anyway. If I went to cut wood where it looked like that, my wife would have to come and get me. You enjoy that because it is absolutely beautiful!!!!

At 3° all I had on was my hat with the ear flaps, gloves, my brown Carhartt jacket, and a cheap pair of thinsulate hunting shoes. That's all I needed, and I was sweating a little at times then, had to open the jacket up. I haven't even got my good boots out yet, but I will today! About 3 inches of snow fell during the night. It looks like the snow is almost done so I think that's going to be all we get.

tfdchief, my family owns about 500 acres. Some of it is fields and a little pastureland for the cows, a bluff, and the rest is woods. Several years ago we had a tornado go through and I have been cutting in 80 acres of the tornado damaged woods ever since, the woods that you see in my pictures.

I knew it!! If you didn't mention it I was gonna ask if you use braid! How could you go wrong!?!?

Hey Quads - how long are those splits? They look really long in the photo, but hard to tell. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Hey Quads - how long are those splits? They look really long in the photo, but hard to tell. Cheers!
Well, I got a little carried away with some of those. I didn't measure, but I'm guessing maybe a few are 20"+. They are all going in my old stove eventually, and it will take way longer than that, so I don't worry too much about length when I'm cutting for my own woodpile. But when I'm cutting for the sale pile, then I try to keep them around 18" or less. I've never been very good at keeping the length consistent!

Status
Not open for further replies.