Today's scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those big rounds look to me like they're over 2 feet long. Do you burn them that long or figure you'll shorten them further at your leisure?

I get really jealous when I see scrounges with straight, mostly knot free wood like that.

Pickup truck capacities have exceeded their nominal class for a long time - I remember looking through the brochures my dad picked up when we were shopping for a farm truck 20 years ago or so. Even then, 1/2 ton trucks had a rated payload around 1-1/2 tons, and 3/4 tons trucks around 2 tons. They derate that based on the engine, but the structure is the same...I'm not sure if suspension components are the same.

I'll bet the rating of that truck is above 1/2 ton, but with over 1/2 cord of green wood in there, you've probably got around 1 ton of weight in it.

You can add leaves to a pack
It's a 225 slant six, automatic trans....... It really only sits so low in the pic because it's so loaded lol but yeah it's 2wd so it sits lower than most newer 4x4s. I like it, I just need to beef up the rear springs some, trying to figure out how to do it cheap, I only have about $1000 wrapped up in the truck as it sits.

You could get yourself some similar length and width leaf springs out of another truck, some spring u bolts and clamps, and add some additional leaves to the packs. Air shocks aren't really suitable for hauling heavy weight like that as the mounts aren't supposed to be load bearing. Air bags would work for you but aren't cheap. Adding leaves to the pack would be a cheap way out.

The big rounds are cut about 18" which is the length I cut most of my wood to.
I think I am indeed going to add extra leaves as I already have an extra set of springs kicking around but I also have this freebie score sitting in the yard waiting to be worked on 2f50a69195621fcf901aab68342d3746.jpg

I know it's hard to stop loading the truck when you see all that wood. Just be careful of the old trucks springs. Nice stuff though.

Nice score! I had air bags on my last truck. Worked well. Now I have a 3/4 ton. Will haul anything but lifting wood up is a bigger challenge!

Y'all outa see me with a scrounge packed into the explorer with the window up........LOL

I was hauling wood last year with an explorer, seat folded packed right to the ceiling. Then the frame rotted out and broke in half.

Springs are one thing BRAKES are another. Not only is that truck overloaded you are exceeding the capability of the brakes. IF anything was to happen and someone gets hurt you'll be in deep doo doo. Be careful. I never did get the mentality of folks when I see a truck that overloaded going down the road. Great score, do yourself and your truck a favor and make the extra trip.

Reactions: Omaha419
Great scrounge!

Status
Not open for further replies.