TOH article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Pellet stoves get a top billing in This Old House...only deal with the article is they quote 240/ton of pellets...That's on the low side of the market. At least they do say the range for stoves is up to 3100 or so...

All depend on location. Around here that would be a high price.

BeGreen said:
All depend on location. Around here that would be a high price.

Agreed...DAMM!!!

The bigger problem with that article is they state "pellet stoves burn hotter and cleaner" than wood stoves. Cleaner ill give ya, but hotter, NO WAY! I have yet to see a pellet stove burn hotter than a wood stove, except my "old one" when it was sold and being melted down for scrap iron!

Michael6268 said:
The bigger problem with that article is they state "pellet stoves burn hotter and cleaner" than wood stoves. Cleaner ill give ya, but hotter, NO WAY! I have yet to see a pellet stove burn hotter than a wood stove, except my "old one" when it was sold and being melted down for scrap iron!

I have such mixed emotions subscribing to that magazine. Every issue, there is one or two tidbits that I find interesting and useful, and since they usually renew at $10/year if you don't respond for a while, I guess it's worth it. But 90% of it seems to be things that no normal person could ever possibly afford, or renovation articles that ultimately go more towards scaring you into not doing much beyond the most simple tasks, and spending more time on what to ask your contractor and how to set your very high five to six figure budgets than how to actually do the job. I usually find myself just pissed off after reading it, but I still subscribe :)

So where is this going? In light of my opinion above, it is no surprise to me that they don't recommend the option that actually involves doing a little work with a chainsaw and maul to make your heat... seems to be geared toward the money is no object crowd. Of course then maybe next issue, they'll have an article on how to install a woodstove and hire your staff to process wood and fill it for you :lol:

-Colin

ps - they actually had an article on "boutique" axes and mauls not that long ago... 10X what a nice 8lb fiberglass maul runs at the local hadware store and way too nice to ever actually use. Maybe good hearth decorations!

I stopped watching TOH when I saw their expert show the audience how to finish drywall.

The idiot used a "corner tool", smearing a ton of mud in the corner over drywall tape, and left a mud buildup about a 1/4 higher than the drywall along the finished edge! And he said.... "thats all there is to it!" You would be sanding until the cows came home to fix that mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.