Ton of wood woooot !!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

We found out today that a friend of ours has a large lot full of trees standing dead and down as well as living needing help. What a score ! My wife and I where there for about an hour and filled my little s10 now I am anxious to get back and do more cutting and fill my big trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_20120108_125901.jpg
    IMG_20120108_125901.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_20120108_172712.jpg
    IMG_20120108_172712.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 788
Ash, Oak, Birch and Maple mostly there is a ton of ash dead on the ground all of what I cut today was already on the ground.

Pete

Pete1983 said:
We found out today that a friend of ours has a large lot full of trees standing dead and down as well as living needing help. What a score ! My wife and I where there for about an hour and filled my little s10 now I am anxious to get back and do more cutting and fill my big trailer.

Nice score, looks like you had a great day.

zap

zapny said:
Pete1983 said:

Nice score, looks like you had a great day.

zap

Yes indeed it was a great day zap the best in a while.

Thanks
Pete

Still cold hear, I think we had a high of 18 today. Looks like some colder weather for this coming weekend, Saturday night -10. We have some nice ironwood all set for some colder weather.

Still burning Cherry the majority of the time, what rrrrrrrrrrrrrr you feeding the beast?

zap

zapny said:
Still cold hear, I think we had a high of 18 today. Looks like some colder weather for this coming weekend, Saturday night -10. We have some nice ironwood all set for some colder weather.

Still burning Cherry the majority of the time, what rrrrrrrrrrrrrr you feeding the beast?

zap

At the moment soft maple just cuz it's kinda warm out but I have ash and oak for when it gets colder. The last weather report I saw was saying the high 20 to mid 30 range for a week or more no real snow to speak of either. We have only had maybe 2 good snowfalls and they thawed off within a two days. Today was in the mid 40 I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50 again but it felt a little cooler than that.

Pete

sweet, get it while the gettin's easy. Not a lot of fun when there 2 feet of snow on the ground

Good score Pete. Get that ash off the ground, I've already found some that was getting punky.

You bet wishlist I am working on that first some was already getting punky.

Pete

It's always great to find a cache of more woodfuel. Nice find. Hope you get good weather long enough to bring home all you want! Ol' man winter is threatening to lock down the wood-gettin' window real soon. We got 2 Ranger truckfuls last week, but that might be all we'll be able to gather until spring.....

Nice find.
Hope it's a close drive. Makes the cost of "free wood" allot less :)
Looks like pretty level ground, hope you can get the truck/trailer close to the work.
Filling up those pallet bins is gonna be nice :)

Stacked rounds always look very neat.

I'm tempted to leave some short rounds unsplit to use on the face of the wood store next year, just for effect..... ;-)

Gark there is so much wood there that I will have to work through the winter to get it all by I don't mind I just cut it up and haul it out on a sled. Thanks for the good weather wish anything helps :)

Bogydave it is about 30 minutes away but it is worth it considering around here wood sells mostly for 55 to 75 a face cord depending on type. I really can't wait to fill the bins either I love the smell and look of fresh cut split stacked wood my friend .

Woodchip they look fantastic when they are fresh for sure even better when it gets to be 8ft tall stacks of course then I have to destroy the beauty and cut it up. I like the after effect of cut and split as well so it wont be a big deal however.

Thanks guys
Pete

kenny chaos said:
And a manageable diameter.
Good for you Man-
Kenny

Kenny I cut them all at 16" and they are mostly 12 to 15 rounds its like heaven ;-)

Wow Pete, nice friend!
Is this an open ended deal or only for a short time? Get it while the gettin's good, then split it up.
You'll be filling those pallet bins quick with a score like that. :coolsmile:

Great score Pete. Glad to hear and see it! That size wood is great, easy to handle. Enjoy the work, I hope you get some great weather over the next few weeks so you can get a good jump on it. Have a good one.

Papadave I have as long as it takes my man woot! The owner wants it cleared of dead wood both standing and down as well as dead trimmed out of live trees so it will grow back beautiful. Because they have no real plans I can clean It out at my pace so I will plug away at it for a while half of the standing is dead ash. The ground is completely covered in downed ash as well it's like a slice of heaven :)

Gasifier we have some really good weather right now but I like snow as well so it will be a fun time. I am beginning to think the weather will be like this all winter!

Pete

Pete, that is a great find! Is it perhaps between your home and your work?

No That would be awesome though it is actually the other way from us. We have a bit of a drive to get there but it is worth it to me because the cost of wood around here is insane I have about 12 trees to drop and twice that on the ground already dead and drying. I don't like the drive but every saturday for a while and I will get it done eventually and have a lot of wood built up in the end.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.