Too close to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if the stove overfires some day
My thoughts exactly. Minimum clearance-to-combustibles recommendations aren't for everyday burning, they are for worst case scenarios, like someone gets distracted and forgets the damper is wide open, the chimney lights up, the stove and pipe start to glow...you can fill in the rest.

To the OP
So the million dollar question is?......
What are you going to do now that you heard from all?.......

My thoughts exactly. Minimum clearance-to-combustibles recommendations aren't for everyday burning, they are for worst case scenarios, like someone gets distracted and forgets the damper is wide open, the chimney lights up, the stove and pipe start to glow...you can fill in the rest.

And the posts about that happening every year always start with "And then I got distracted...". Year after year after...

But also the pyrolosis occurring over time and lowering the combustion point of the stuff close to the stove enters into it to. I have an oak end table that the front corner is probably ready to burst into flame at around 100 degrees after sitting that close to the stove for 30 years.

And the posts about that happening every year always start with "And then I got distracted...". Year after year after...

But also the pyrolosis occurring over time and lowering the combustion point of the stuff close to the stove enters into it to. I have an oak end table that the front corner is probably ready to burst into flame at around 100 degrees after sitting that close to the stove for 30 years.
You better move that oak table over another 6 inches before you have the next glass of Chardonnay.....:)

I actually have a heat shield on the corner of it closest to the stove. It is within "clearance to combustibles" but it has been assaulted by the heat of wood stoves for 30 years which has to have lowered the flash point way down.

What are the required side clearances in an alcove? because that is pretty much what you have created there

That statement is totally wrong and irresponsible it is not the sparks you have to worry about it is heat transfer

Call me crazy . . . and maybe I'm just special . . . but I have had sparks come out and hot coals fall out on to the hearth while reloading . . . I would not want the wood to be this close for a variety of reasons.

I'm with the other guys, and say 'better safe than sorry'. I wouldn't want to have wood so close in my home and so I'd never recommend it to someone else. Ultimately it just takes one small unforeseen event to light that birch bark on fire and engulf your home.

Ben

Wow! You have a good friend there!
I would if where mine: install a heat shield on the rear wall with an air space behind it. I would also remove the single wall stove pipe and install new double wall pipe. I would move wood piles or at a minimum install heat shields with air space. I would defiantly reread your manual for proper hearth protection and clearances. with heat shields in place the heat will go upward and you have an alcove installation as mentioned above.

Also I would get a closed/covered ash can.

In 1986 I replaced my parents 6" single wall stove pipe(installed in 1976) with metalbestos and replaced three roof rafters and 2 floor joists. Amazingly I could break a 2x6 over my knee! My parents where very grateful I could read and follow directions. I was only 16-17 yrs old and the professional that installed the single wall pipe was 55 years old.

You have received great advice here and from your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.