Too Cold to cut oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironspider

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2013
Flanders, NY
Will I have any problems cutting downed snow covered oak to length is sub 30 weather? I have to guess it's frozen after several days of 20 degree weather, it's snow covered too. Will this kill my blade?

I have never had icy wood dull a blade. Cutting osage or hedge has dulled my blade, not frozen. Only the first quarter inch or so of the bark would be icy anyway right?

That's good news, I have some wood to process and finally have time but the weather is horrible.

If you can work in the cold go for it. I enjoy working in cold weather as long as the snow isn't too deep.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm trying to borrow my friends torpedo heater that would be awesome.

Oak is not much different in cold weather. A chain saw will not know the difference. Sawmills prefer to cut oak in the winter vs. Hard Maple or Hickory! Hard Maple in the mill can be a real pain in the butt, but a chainsaw really should not notice a difference. Loggers cut timber all year around, they just complain about temperature and deep snow, never had one tell me the wood was to frozen too cut.

If anything, the cold, snow & ice will keep the chain cooler during long hard cuts. Just make sure there is no dirt on the logs hiding under the snow.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was assured it wasn't an issue. When I actually was cutting, things worked great!

The only thing I noticed when it was really cold (0-5F) was the wood chips mixing with the snow melted by the hot saw and freezing up in the saw. A couple of times it actually stopped up the chain and I had to take things apart to get them cleaned up and moving again.

Good luck!

As mentioned above, the main risk is not knowing what's under the snow when you are cutting - I've had some bad luck hitting rocks under the snow. Now I make sure I clear the snow from the area under the cut before I buck to see if any problems are there. Cheers!

Ha !!!

You'll be fine.

I've done it, and not an issue.

;)

My buddy gave me the green light on the torpedo that will melt the snow off the tree might quik

If the torpedo is something you find beneficial then have at it but for me it would be just another step in the process and an unnecessary one at that. The saw will not know the difference and, as mentioned, likely run better in the cold. A quick wipe with your arm/boot or whatever to knock off some snow will do just fine. If you are getting cold - work harder - and get er' done. Once you start humping those oak rounds around you will be plenty warm in any but the coldest temps. I like anything from 15-30 degrees and wind 10mph or less for wood processing.

You can always put more clothes on but never take enough off. Cut in the winter.

Very true, when I'm working in the cold I generally end up removing a flannel at some point, but if I stop for a fee minutes, that's when the heater will help.

Or just don't stop, no breaks.

I won't be at my own home to warm up.

If the torpedo is something you find beneficial then have at it but for me it would be just another step in the process and an unnecessary one at that. The saw will not know the difference and, as mentioned, likely run better in the cold. A quick wipe with your arm/boot or whatever to knock off some snow will do just fine. If you are getting cold - work harder - and get er' done. Once you start humping those oak rounds around you will be plenty warm in any but the coldest temps. I like anything from 15-30 degrees and wind 10mph or less for wood processing.

You can always put more clothes on but never take enough off. Cut in the winter.

Was talking to the better half about borrowing the heater......she called me a wuss and to suck it up. lol I guess I'll forget the heater.

Saw runs better when its cold and if there is snow on the ground, the bar stays up off the ground so it stays sharper longer.

Last edited:
I dont mind splitting rounds when its really cold but Im not sure about bucking. I have an aversion to running machinery and equipment in really cold temps. But everything I own is old.
If you are worried about getting too cold yourself make sure you have plenty of gas in your truck.
Bring a thermos of hot soup or something. A car blanket.
Maybe one of those heaters that run on a propane bottle. Uh...looks like an infrared heater.
Like ice fishermen use.
And tell the wife to come out with you. See how much of a sport she really is. lol.

Keep all your bar oil and saws inside the truck for better cold starting.
And bring Imodium and toilet paper. I know its drug abuse, but take 2 Imodiums before you go out.
My sister emailed me from Iraq and told me that when she had to use the bathroom over there she had to take her weapon with her and kevlar and helmet and leave the building she was in and go outside to another building.
Also on mission in a Blackhawk she was too scared to tell anyone she had to go to the bathroom. So I told her to take 2 Imodiums before getting on the helicopter.
Same thing when you are out in the woods.

Wow, the wife is tough.

Hey she knows him .... :)

cut and split two and a half cords of hard as a rock dead oak last weekend in 15 degree cold.
Pile of logs had 6 inches of snow on it and everything was froze together.
We started a little camp fire to warm up our feet and hands every now and then.

As long as your chain is getting oil it and the bar will be fine.

Reactions: brogsie
I'm sweating my ass off now. My craftsman saw is a Littli underpowered I think, the good Oregon replacement blade is saving me though.

Reactions: Dix
Biggest hassle with working wood in the cold is swapping layers around. Start out dressed to stay warm and end up sweating then taking a break and freezing.

Yeah, but that's some awesome oak you're getting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.