1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Too good to be true

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by nocdpc, Nov 1, 2010.

1. nocdpc

nocdpc New Member

Loc:
    Northeast CT
    Local Landscaper Windslow Landscaping is offering seasoned cords of wood for $170 per cord. So I put a order in as this is really cheap. Before the wood was dropped I selected 5 pieces and split them and tested the moisture content. They were running at 38% to 40%. I said no thank you as this will not well. I told him I would take it off his hands for 140 per cord. His reply was I have 200 customers waiting for wood. I said good luck.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maplewood

maplewood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NB Canada
    It's only good for next season....
    But around here, $170 is a good price for a cord split and delivered. Even if it is for next year.
    I pay about $135/cord tree length!
  3. nocdpc

nocdpc New Member

Loc:
    Northeast CT
    I get straight logs delivered on truck in 8cords for $75 per cord. If the guy was willing to lower the price to 140 or 150 I would have accepted the delivery and left it stacked for the following year.
  4. wood-fan-atic

wood-fan-atic New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I just dont get it. "Seasoned" is supposed to be at or about 20% MC. Period. If its not, its not seasoned, and I'm not paying BOO for it. Tree companies (around my area) will drop as much hardwood in my driveway as I want for free, but I usually have to buck it and split it myself. This is a fair trade for both of us. If someone is 'selling' me 'seasoned' wood and shows up with 40% MC, he's trying to rip me off, and I'll take it for $50 a cord- not a penny more. I hate scammers and crooks, and if everybody held these guys accountable for their actions, the 'firewood world' would be a better place. Just my 2 cents. :bug: