too much draft with windy conditions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrench340

Apr 3, 2008
Durhamville,NY
had some intense winds recently and it seems that it created to much draft and it seemed to suck the wood out of my eko 40 ,any body else had this issue?

wrench340 said:
had some intense winds recently and it seems that it created to much draft and it seemed to suck the wood out of my eko 40 ,any body else had this issue?

No, and it can get pretty windy here. When you say 'suck the wood out' did the EKO overheat? Mine will continue to gasify at a low level with the fan shut down, just from the draft. It's not enough to be a problem, though.

no, it doesn't over heat but it smokes and uses more wood than on cold still day

I have been talking to Mark at AHONA about putting a solenoid and plate on the fan housing to reduce the draft.

wrench340 said:
no, it doesn't over heat but it smokes and uses more wood than on cold still day

That's really interesting. I'd expect it to have the same effect as running the fan faster - hotter fire, more output. I don't understand why it would smoke. Have to think about that one. Does Mark have any insight as to what's going on?

He thinks that it is pulling through the fan,a damper would probably solve the issue but create another during low draft situations

Status
Not open for further replies.