Too thick of a coal/ash bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OilNoMore said:
. . . Stores here only sells the 35 gallon metal bucket which I know I will be lazy and let get too full, then complain about how I can't pick it up and need to shovel it out. . . .

Check with your local True Value hardware store . . . my local TV Hardware had several smaller size covered metal pails ranging from 5 gallons up to 35 gallon.

CowboyAndy said:
. . ..

Can I leave it right in the basement with the lid on (concrete floor)?

In that area of the basement it stays pretty damp (poor foundation), would the little bit if water on the floor be an issue with the can?

Someone suggested putting water after eash shovel full, is that 100% nessicary? can I just dump em in and let them cool on their own, or can i seriously damage the can?

My own personal opinions. As a kid my Dad would often let the ashes cool in a covered metal can in the basement . . . but then again he also stored paint cans within a few feet of the stove too. I personally would not store ashes (hot or cold . . . because too many people mistake hot ashes for cold) in my house.

As for adding water . . . a bit of an over-kill in my opinion . . . but hey, it will certainly cool the ashes quicker and surely can't hurt things in terms of fire safety. In either case, water or no water, I advocate bringing the ash can outside and putting it away from the house or anything combustible (i.e. off any wooden surface, grass, etc.) . . . I either put my ash can on a dirt-covered area (where my pool deck used to be located) or a concrete pad outside.

The local do it best place has these things (10 gallon galvanized), which might be fine...but I have seen them painted black. They also have 5-gallon, which might be better. My 10-gallon gets a bit heavy when full. Just somehting to consider...

Attachments

• imagerequestCAEWSU8E.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 206
Mike from Athens said:
The local do it best place has these things (10 gallon galvanized), which might be fine...but I have seen them painted black. They also have 5-gallon, which might be better. My 10-gallon gets a bit heavy when full. Just somehting to consider...

I have this one.ive put nothing but red Cole's in it and it did not discolor at all.its easy to bring outside.

My fireplace insert has air supply from below the fire and bed of coals. Only time I get any problem is if the ash underneath the coals is too thick and reduces airflow. I rake it to and fro a few times, then close the door and open the air supply. Holy smokes.... looks like a blacksmith forge in there, and cannot leave air supply open too much or too long. Will literally burn the creosote and soot off the glass in the door, usually have to have temperatures at least 500 degrees to accomplish that. Do it daily, no chimney fires or build up in there either.

New wood boiler will be on line soon, contractor had service call emergencies today... people with no heat at all. Be here Monday to finish up.

Don't care for the idea of handling hot coals in the house. Might be a sissy, but seen enough house fires caused by hot coals and ashes to be cautious about it.

Have a galvanized bucket with a latchable cover... ashes and coals go in it, and it goes outside on the pavement away from the house.

Hi -
I'm a real newbee here. I've only had my wood stove installed for less than a week. But what I have noticed is that I am ending up with more than a bucket full of unburned coals everyday. If I try to let the coals burn down, then the house cools off too much. If I don't remove the coals and keep adding wood, then I can't get the stove to burn hot enough.

I am loading the stove up at night and slowing dampering it most of the way down. I'm doing the same thing before I leave for work. But I've been here with the stove openned up all the way today and the same issue is occurring.

I'm sure the problem is me...what am I doing wrong?

Did you follow the advice on the link mentioned on the first page of this thread?
Do you have lots of coals or unburned coals? If they're unburned as you stated, they are not getting enough air for complete combustion.

I've got the draft open as much as it will go. So I'm not sure how to get more air to it...other than keeping the door open. The only thing I've found that will bring the temperature of the stove and the house up is to empty the unburned coals. But that seems like a huge waste.

Just to try something new...I'm keeping the stove as full of wood as I can while still allowing air between the logs. I'm hoping that this will bring the temperature up enough to burn down the coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.