Took a day off from work today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my best Homer Simpson impression......."Mmmmmmm D o u b l e B a g ......aaaagggghhhhhhh"

Don't get me wrong, I love a good Smuttynose Portsmouth Lager. All the folks who aren't in New England have no idea what's going on.

3:40PM: Darn hungry. Shaking hungry. I'm eating an apple. Stacking is going faster than I thought. Still hot, but clouding over more now - more clouds than sun. I hear thunder in the distance. I think when all this is split and stacked, I'll be about 1/3 through with what I'll burn this year. Bring on more loads!

EXCELLENT FOR YOU! I love Long Trail and Magic Hat etc. Never heard of SmuttyNose

I'm sippin' some Appalaichia home brew peach brandy on the chill and gonna get ready soon to go listen to New York(my wifes nick name) sing at the local watering hole and sip some sudz. Man can she sing!

Lee, I'll have some of that!

4:49PM: I'm spent. Hats off to the folks who do this full time. Already showered and changed. It sure feels great to sit in front of a fan right now. After a day of work I could really go for a big fat steak, some fries, and some beer. Maybe I can con the wife into taking me out when she gets home. Hmm.. I think I'm just more than a quarter done processing this year's wood. Still have many truck loads to go I guess. Yee Ha!

I'M not trying to let the wind out of your sails, but all of you should
have been done with this months ago.

I've got 9 cord in the shed. About 3-4 cord in a heap out back. AND 2500 cord +/- down in the wood yard !!! I'd say I'm done for quite a while. Time to wet a line and sip some sudz!

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I've got 9 cord in the shed. About 3-4 cord in a heap out back. AND 2500 cord +/- down in the wood yard !!! I'd say I'm done for quite a while. Time to wet a line and sip some sudz!
LEES ,you are not included :cheese:

So you got a third of you wood done in 1 day...congratulations. I usually have an 'adult beverage' by the work site and admire the work.

budman said:

Thank you Captain Obvious. I really wish I did have it done by now as that was the original plan. I started looking for wood in early March but due to circumstances beyond my control, and poor business practices by more than one "wood guy," I haven't been able to get wood on this property until right now. So, here I am in late June splitting and stacking my wood. Oh well. I'll live I'm sure.

LEES WOOD-CO said:

WTF!!!!!!! I AM READING THIS RIGHT????????? 2500 +++++????????? HOLY SHEEEEEEET
can i stay with you for a couple of weekends?????? you don't mind if i bring some trucks and beer???

cmonSTART said:
budman said:

Thank you Captain Obvious. I really wish I did have it done by now as that was the original plan. I started looking for wood in early March but due to circumstances beyond my control, and poor business practices by more than one "wood guy," I haven't been able to get wood on this property until right now. So, here I am in late June splitting and stacking my wood. Oh well. I'll live I'm sure.

do you think you'll be able to burn it this year??

budman said:

Don't I know it...this is the latest i've been still stacking. Things come up that I just can't put aside...so here i am stacking in 90 degree weather. Works up a good sweat though :sick:

Well, I'm sure going to try. I'm sure it won't be ideal, but a lot of the wood has been down and bucked for quite a while now so I hope it should be close by the time I need it. The splits are a bit on the small side and I'm leaving some airspace between the stacks to help a bit. I'm going to have to make do with what I have here. That's just what our budget dictates right now.

Three double bags in and I dropped, bucked and loaded a 20" oak during the course of today. I also ran 15 miles (total for the week is up to 95 with tomorrow being the last). Man, I love cutting and running. I was WET today though, good sweat going. May have to start cutting back on the amount, hard work and I already have about 12 cords cut for next winter (not this winter).
Chad

woodconvert said:
budman said:

Don't I know it...this is the latest i've been still stacking. Things come up that I just can't put aside...so here i am stacking in 90 degree weather. Works up a good sweat though :sick:

To add a little salt to the wound....I ate dinner, mowed the lawn, sat on the porch with the wife, child and new puppy and what do I hear?...HUH....YEAH, THE CORD I JUST STACKED FELL OVER!!!! :snake:

So I just finished re-stacking that cord....for the THIRD TIME (I stack in between 8ft t-posts and we've got enough rain this year that the soil won't hold)....and I'm thinking about taking either thursday or monday off to finish my wood. I've come to the conclusion i'm going to have to buy "some" wood. I'll prolly cut three(ish) cord tomorow and see how it looks then make the call.

Crashing wood rolls used to happen to me all the time...so depressing. Now as we split we just throw up the splits in a great pile over a run a crush pad. Wish I would have thought of that 30 years ago...but wood processing sure has been a lot less tedious since doing it this way since 911.

cmonSTART said:
budman said:

I am sure you will be fine. I have purchased less than seasoned wood in September/October and been forced to burn it in my Olympic. Some of the wood had some age on it and some was seasoned ok. It obviously came from one of those big mixed heaps. If you can get that stuff a drying now, it should be burnable, you just have to keep on eye on your flu for creosote and burn a bit smarter. If anything seems like it has just too much moisture when you bring it in - like oak does when it is not seasoned - you will just have to split it smaller in the garage and burn it anyway. I have one of those mini -mauls in the garage for this and splitting kindling.

Good Luck
g

I too am way behind for the same reason. Been calling this particular wood dealer since April and I keep getting excuses etc. So, I basically said, time to start cutting my trees. I took the ATV and trailer and saw and gear and started searching out downed hardwood and leaners a few weeks ago. to my suprise, I found many. Mostly beech and soft maple. I basically got 1.5 cord out of easy stuff and never had to fell a live tree. had 1.5 cord leftover so I have 3 full right now that will be ready for this winter sicne the downd trees didnt leaf out and when I was splitting them they are definatly 1/2 dry as it is.
So I just ordered another cord from a friends of mine, alreay split so I will have my 4 full now so I can rest easy. I will still scrounge on my property and keep splitting

Good job on getting some more wood ready despite the delays in getting it from the aforementioned dealer. I just took a leap forward for next year and grabbed 3 cord of ash, red maple and elm in my trailer. I made that trailer pay with a cord per load. I guess I made my 4runner pay too in having to pull that mutha. I still have to split it but oh well...Ill be way ahead for next year.

And I still have to go pick up 2 more cord of the ash - from the same guy. Tough job there - the tree guys cut it in 4 foot logs and left it in the woods behind his house. So it I have to cut, load in wheel barrow and bring it to my trailer in the driveway. What a workout...especially with the big logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.