Took the Blaze King Plunge!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
We have been pushing our Jotul Oslo for a few months since we bought our house, it was just undersized for the new place, (it is a great stove by the way). I decided to buy a Blaze King Ultra, we are in heaven with this stove! I load it once a day, and even on low I see no smoke or steam come out of the flue. I am a very happy customer! :coolsmile:

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpg
    IMG_5068.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_5056.jpg
    IMG_5056.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_5071.jpg
    IMG_5071.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 957
How big is the whole room the stove sits in? Looks like the stove and it's hearth area take up a good chunk? Nice lookin stove.......is it deep enough for a N/S burn? How deep is it?

-Soupy1957

The fire box itself is about 18" deep and 24" wide, and is about 15"from top to bottom. the room it is in is about 30x32. We have a total of 1900 sq. feet.

Looks great Webby, love the stone.

Nice, is that the King or Princess?

Did you already have an 8" flue? I considered BK when I decided I needed bigger stove, but I was limited by my 6" flue.
-john

johnstra said:
Did you already have an 8" flue? I considered BK when I decided I needed bigger stove, but I was limited by my 6" flue.
-john
Yes, I had an 8" class A in place, I just reduced down for my Jotul, the princess is still a monster heater, it uses a 6" flue.

I'm very happy with my Mansfield. It heats my place far better than the Heritage I originally bought.

Out of curiosity, though, how big of a house can a Princess heat. I know that depends on lots of variables, but I ruled out the Princess because I just didn't think a 2.3 cu/ft firebox would cut it for my house. I know they are very different heaters, but that's the same size as the Heritage I got rid of because it just didn't make enough heat.

Looking at the BK web site, I didn't see any suggestion as to what size house their wood stoves should be able to heat. Did I miss it.

Congratulations, btw on your BK. Loading once a day... that's just not fair!

Princess has a 2.8 cu ft firebox. Looking at the manufacturer's spec for how big of a house you can heat can get you into trouble. Firebox is a much better indicator.

Great looking hearth!

SolarAndWood said:
Princess has a 2.8 cu ft firebox. Looking at the manufacturer's spec for how big of a house you can heat can get you into trouble. Firebox is a much better indicator.

I agree that firebox size is a better indicator.

I misread the Princess specs I guess. So 2.8 on the Princess vs 2.3 on the Heritage. My Mansfield is 3.2 and it puts out good heat. If the Princess is really "in between" it wouldn't quite put out the heat I need, but there are other things that could make a big difference - better burn time, blower, steel vs stone, etc.

Anyway, it's just idle curiosity.

wkpoor said:
Great looking hearth!

Agreed! I like the large tiled area, flush to the floor. That allows a cart to be easily and safely rolled and parked near the stove, while maintaining the combustibles clearance. Also, water can drip with no damage. Very nice. That's in my design.

Nicely done, Webby! :thumbsup:

cmonSTART said:
Congrats Webby!!! The King Ultra is a great heater! I installed one not too long ago in a large house and it throws off great heat!
I have installed a few this year too. I got to run a new one that we installed while we installed a wood cookstove in the kitchen and was very impressed with it's performance. I miss the look of my Jotul, but I love the way this Blaze King heats, it's great. I was really leaning towards the Enerzone 3.4, I have installed and ran several of them and have been likewise impressed. The burn times as well as the capacity is what made the difference.

VCBurner said:
BEATIFUL hearth, nice wood box too!! What a great looking set up. I hope it serves well for years to come!! Congrats.
Thanks, the woodbox came from a friend that I installed a Blaze King Parlor stove for, he was going to throw it away, i snagged it.

Hey Webby,
It's OK to take closer pictures of your new stove, being a king doesn't have to be all about looks! ;-P

I was just looking at your pics of the Oslo from days ago, I understand. I'm sure the king will make you warmer with less work right? ;-)

VCBurner said:
Hey Webby,
It's OK to take closer pictures of your new stove, being a king doesn't have to be all about looks! ;-P

I was just looking at your pics of the Oslo from days ago, I understand. I'm sure the king will make you warmer with less work right? ;-)
Loved the Jotul, but thay can't be pushed beyond what they are designed for. It was using lots of wood, and reloaded often. I reload the King once a day so far!

webby3650 said:
VCBurner said:
Hey Webby,

Loved the Jotul, but thay can't be pushed beyond what they are designed for. It was using lots of wood, and reloaded often. I reload the King once a day so far!

Hows about some close ups then? I was just playing, I'm a little envious, I'd trade you my DW but I see you already have one in the garage! :p

Ok, here is a close up.

Attachments

• IMG_5059.jpg
    IMG_5059.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 569
that is an incredible stove. i never heard of them until i joined this forum. love the set up, enjoy .

I have no trouble heating my house with the Princess, house is ~1400 sq ft. It will keep the house at 70-75* without trouble. Often I open the door to the attached garage and heat that as well. Garage is 625 sq ft.
Normally just run the stove with teh dial straight up and down then when the temps dip down, like last night it was -20*, I set it to #1.

johnstra said:
I'm very happy with my Mansfield. It heats my place far better than the Heritage I originally bought.

Out of curiosity, though, how big of a house can a Princess heat. I know that depends on lots of variables, but I ruled out the Princess because I just didn't think a 2.3 cu/ft firebox would cut it for my house. I know they are very different heaters, but that's the same size as the Heritage I got rid of because it just didn't make enough heat.

Looking at the BK web site, I didn't see any suggestion as to what size house their wood stoves should be able to heat. Did I miss it.

Congratulations, btw on your BK. Loading once a day... that's just not fair!

webby3650 said:
Ok, here is a close up.

Time to close the bypass :)

Great looking hearth.
Good stove. The blowers really help (just a tad noisy though)
I am happy with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.