Tool to measure log length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use a piece of coper tubing for my lengths..

I have duct tape on my saw for lenght...

We have a stick cut to length, a large piece of chalk and just walk it out to mark it before cutting.
Same, but my "chalk" is a top-handle saw, and my stick is painted with fluorescent orange candy-cane striping.

I just cut. When you have crotches and stuff, you have to work around them anyway.
When wood has too many crotches, I leave it for someone else. :p ;lol

Seriously, which tool is best is going to vary with what you're cutting. My system is to bring home 15' logs, usually mostly straight, and use the stick with top handle saw to mark off my 18" lengths, before bucking into rounds. If there's a crotch in a log, I will usually try to cut that log a little long when I'm on-site (eg. 15' 9"), so that when it's time to mark and buck it into rounds, I can start at the crotch and work out from both directions, leaving that for the scrap or uglies pile.

Reactions: sloeffle
We get a few pieces that break off or don't stack well, but 99.9% goes in the stack. Never had much problem stacking it either, and we free-stack it, no posts, braces, or otherwise. Crotches split right down just like the rest.;)

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Crotches split right down just like the rest.;)
Oh, for sure! But I burn a lot of yard waste, hedge trimmings, splitter and saw swarf, etc. So I always need some at least party-seasoned wood for this, and that's where the crotches or uglies go. They get tossed into a bin fashioned from pallets, from which I pull when I need a few splits to support a burn of un-seasoned trimmings or swarf.

Reactions: highanddryinco
He said "swarf." There's one I haven't heard in forever. Last time was from my long since passed machine shop owner, best bud.
👍

Reactions: Ashful