1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Toro Riding Mower Blade Deck Help

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by homebrewz, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I've got a Toro Wheel Horse manufactured around 1991, with a 3 blade detachable deck. There are 3 belts.. the drive belt, the belt that runs from the
    clutch/PTO to the deck (which drives the blades) and the belt that runs all 3 blades. The belt that runs the blades keeps getting chewed up.

A new belt will last one session of mowing. The next time I try to mow, the belt will twist, and slip off, eventually getting chewed up
    in the process. I've cleaned the deck and sharpened the blades, which are about 2 seasons old. It hasn't helped. Each blade has
    its own pulley on the top portion of the deck that the belt runs around, and I have noticed that the center pulley seems to spin off-center
    a little. I'm wondering if this pulley needs to be replaced, or if there could be something wrong in the tensioner spring assembly. The
    assembly seems to be adjusted by loosening a bolt and moving the bar and spring up and down the deck. I have it set about mid-way.

Anyone familiar with this mower? I'd appreciate any insight! I'm getting tired of replacing belts...

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Your bearings are probably going on the 1st drive pulley or you have hit something with the drive tower. Everything should be centered and in line. Take the belts off and spin each by hand and I bet the middle one will not spin freely...make sure you put some side tension on it like a belt would and the problem should become evident.
  3. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Are you using a lawn and garden belt or just an automotive belt you bought at a parts store? There is a difference (in shape and materials).
  4. homebrewz

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    No, its a lawn and garden belt bought at a yard equipment repair shop.

Thanks 'burntime'. I'll take a closer look at the center pulley.
  5. mjbrown

mjbrown Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hartland,Me.
    i agree with burntime... sounds to me like you have a problem with that cntr pulley. if its spinning off center, it could very well be spitting the belt off , and causing the destruction of it.

mike sorry, didnt mean to quote, i clicked a wrong button
  6. LandscaperDarryl

LandscaperDarryl New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    hmmmm...don't know that mower but you mentioned a spring....would that be the idler pulley tension spring? Usually there's a grease fitting that needs to be lubircated there so that the idler can move back and forth. If it can't it will tend to chew up belts. The problem is that if you try to lubircate it with the spring on, the part of it that needs grease doesn't get any...so gotta remove the spring first or at least take the tension off it. My mower decks are all set up this way.
  7. homebrewz

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I'll take a look, but I think the only grease fittings are on the three main shafts for each blade.

I replaced the center pulley, and the problem seems to be fixed. It was only off by .002"
    compared to the new one. Thanks to all those who replied!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.