Toro Riding Mower Blade Deck Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I've got a Toro Wheel Horse manufactured around 1991, with a 3 blade detachable deck. There are 3 belts.. the drive belt, the belt that runs from the
clutch/PTO to the deck (which drives the blades) and the belt that runs all 3 blades. The belt that runs the blades keeps getting chewed up.

A new belt will last one session of mowing. The next time I try to mow, the belt will twist, and slip off, eventually getting chewed up
in the process. I've cleaned the deck and sharpened the blades, which are about 2 seasons old. It hasn't helped. Each blade has
its own pulley on the top portion of the deck that the belt runs around, and I have noticed that the center pulley seems to spin off-center
a little. I'm wondering if this pulley needs to be replaced, or if there could be something wrong in the tensioner spring assembly. The
assembly seems to be adjusted by loosening a bolt and moving the bar and spring up and down the deck. I have it set about mid-way.

Anyone familiar with this mower? I'd appreciate any insight! I'm getting tired of replacing belts...

Thanks!

Your bearings are probably going on the 1st drive pulley or you have hit something with the drive tower. Everything should be centered and in line. Take the belts off and spin each by hand and I bet the middle one will not spin freely...make sure you put some side tension on it like a belt would and the problem should become evident.

No, its a lawn and garden belt bought at a yard equipment repair shop.

Thanks 'burntime'. I'll take a closer look at the center pulley.

homebrewz said:
No, its a lawn and garden belt bought at a yard equipment repair shop.

Thanks 'burntime'. I'll take a closer look at the center pulley.

i agree with burntime... sounds to me like you have a problem with that cntr pulley. if its spinning off center, it could very well be spitting the belt off , and causing the destruction of it.

mike sorry, didnt mean to quote, i clicked a wrong button

hmmmm...don't know that mower but you mentioned a spring....would that be the idler pulley tension spring? Usually there's a grease fitting that needs to be lubircated there so that the idler can move back and forth. If it can't it will tend to chew up belts. The problem is that if you try to lubircate it with the spring on, the part of it that needs grease doesn't get any...so gotta remove the spring first or at least take the tension off it. My mower decks are all set up this way.

I'll take a look, but I think the only grease fittings are on the three main shafts for each blade.

I replaced the center pulley, and the problem seems to be fixed. It was only off by .002"
compared to the new one. Thanks to all those who replied!

Status
Not open for further replies.