Touch Up Stove Finish--Make It Look Nicer After 8 yrs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoosanMan

Nov 29, 2014
NE Kansas
I have another thread I started about the problem on my Auburn stove. I now have it out in my shop giving it a thorough cleaning. It's been through 8 seasons so far............and we have 5 dear children. It is showing some wear. There is a bit of rust around and below the door and some scratches on the top. Is there anyway to touch up the finish on a stove? I can't think of anyway, but I thought someone here might know. Thanks

Would some stove polish work? They sell it at my local TSC store.

Otherwise, give it a light sanding and get a can of stove black rustoleum. I used that to fix a huge nasty spot on the side of my stove after my wife accidentally touched a pellet bag to it...

High temperature exhaust header paint.....

It's probably easier to get a good result just painting the whole stove. You've already got it out in the the shop, now's the time to do it. Hopefully not too cold to paint. Obviously if your shop is heated with any sort of flame, be safe!

Stove Bright is a bit spendy but good results. Very high tolulene or whatever carcinogenic content. Scuff with fine paper or steel wool. I prefer sand blasting to give a uniform finish but not in everyones budget. Clean well wiping with acetone on a cloth rag to remove any oils and give a even better bite for the new paint. Read the cans directions.

Any paint with those good aromatic hydrocarbons is good. At least better than the weenie stuff. If it don't stink it ain't no goof.

Stove Bright is a bit spendy but good results. Very high tolulene or whatever carcinogenic content. Scuff with fine paper or steel wool. I prefer sand blasting to give a uniform finish but not in everyones budget. Clean well wiping with acetone on a cloth rag to remove any oils and give a even better bite for the new paint. Read the cans directions.

How many cans of Stove Bright do I need for a pellet stove?

I used VHT header paint to do my vent pipe, it turned out real nice and it was only like 6 bucks a can at autozone it is a nice satin finish and laid down real nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.