Towing Iron and Oak Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G6 at Snook said:
I noticed that Ariens has had trouble with towing their splitters. I have the Iron and Oak 26ton. I don't go flying down the road, but hitching it up to my truck is a plus. Am I in the wrong here? Do I need to trailer queen it?

Thanks.

You do not need a trailer. Twelve years ago a customer of mine (I am a weldor) asked if I could make road able a used log splitter he had purchased. The fellow that made the splitter did a really good job if one likes a horizontal heavy duty and only to be moved short distances at 5 MPH log splitter. He welded bolts on for axles using wheel barrow wheels. He drove it to Bob’s home about 35 miles, some of which was on an interstate and state highway (hi-speed).

Bob asked me to look it over since the wheel bearings were fried on the trip over and he, his brothers and friends planned to move the splitter 5-6 times per year and about 700-800 miles on the clock.
The tow vehicles were: full size pickups, Ford Rangers, and a Jeep. Feedback was the splitter tracked perfectly and was a pleasure to tow with the added torsion suspension and highway tires and hubs.

I took the pictures 1-24-2012. They show the suspension modification and a recent retrofit he had done this pasted summer - converted the splitter to a horizontal/vertical type for his bad back and large amount of jumbo rounds he acquired last winter.

A long time ago I built a tow able back hoe and used the same type of suspension-I can say without question the hoe towed much better w/suspension instead of straight axles w/ highway hubs and tires.

Gweld

Attachments

• Bob w splitter suspension 1-24-12 004-resampled.jpg
    Bob w splitter suspension 1-24-12 004-resampled.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Bob w splitter suspension 1-24-12 006resampled.jpg
    Bob w splitter suspension 1-24-12 006resampled.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Bob w splitter suspension 1-24-12 007resampled.jpg
    Bob w splitter suspension 1-24-12 007resampled.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 0digmac.jpg