Trading in a Hearth Mansfield for a Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still a strong believer in getting the most out of the Mansfield before purchasing another stove no matter what brand it may be. This will give you a far better understanding of what your needs are and what your weak points are.

You are absolutely correct that it shows me my weak points. My stove has been kicking the crap out of me trying to tell me where I am screwing up, but what can I say I am a slow learner :) My stove is slowly teaching me what she likes and what she doesn't (with much needed assistance from the pros on this site).

So far the wood made a big and obvious difference as expected. I always read on this site about seasoned wood, but I didn't realize how unseasoned mine actually was on the inside. I picked up a cheap moisture meter so I am going to split one of original pieces and check.

I ran my stove last night for the first time with the pipe damper and it is definitely going to take a little while to figure out the right intake/exhaust ratio so I don't choke the fire out. I read your other post Browning about your Heritage and it I am going to experiment with that for a little while today. Great post by the way. Do you close your damper all the way off or just partially?

PS I added wood last night around 8pm and my stove was still pretty warm this morning around 9am with the pipe damper. Normally it would be cold, so it looks promising :)

I'll keep this thread updated on what the moisture in my original wood was as well as what works for my air ratios to get this big hunkin rock up to temp.

I don't think Dennis is commenting at all on the PH when he advised to stick with your current stove. He is simply agreeing with others, that you owe it to yourself to give your present set up a very good trial before contemplating switching. Your stoves may well suit your needs entirely once you have the art of running them comfortably in hand.

Well, I am happy to say I finally hit the number I was looking for :)

I tried to make sure I did everything right this time. Starting with a bed of coals.

-Split my current oak splits into smaller sizes, about 3".
-I checked the moisture of each and they all are between 14%-20%.
-Loaded about 12 splits in the stove.
-Let the splits burn with damper and intake wide open for about 25 mins so everything was charred
-Closed the damper fully closed and left the intake wide open
-Kept it like this until stove top was about 400
-Closed the intake to half for 5 mins
-Closed intake completely

Now I'll see how what burn times I get....

Attachments

• Stove temp.JPG
    Stove temp.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: Dairyman
I don't think Dennis is commenting at all on the PH when he advised to stick with your current stove. He is simply agreeing with others, that you owe it to yourself to give your present set up a very good trial before contemplating switching. Your stoves may well suit your needs entirely once you have the art of running them comfortably in hand.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Rideau.

Great progress. I bet you can make the stove hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.