Traditions t300P issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whynot

Mar 29, 2017
Vancouver WA
Back in January, I had a power outage. the pellet stove did not work right after that. I ended up replacing the control board, and then the combustion fan to get it running good again.
Now here we are at the end of march. I have the stove filling with smoke when it is trying to light and it sometime pops. I also can see the fin on the combustion blower spinning in start up, and it is not moving very much air.
After a few minutes it gets better, like after the fan gets hot.
There is also black on the outside of my chimney looks like creosote? I have never had this before.
I have cleaned the stove and the pipe.
Adjusted the control board for max air and min fuel.
It is not helping at all. The local stove store is stumped, and so am I.
the voltage to the fan changes between Low medium and high, and after startup the blower does also. I unplugged the convection blower to see if there was a large power draw, still no help.
I am down to a control board again, or a blower.
The fan ohms at about 20 ohms. But so did the last one that did not work right.
The stove is 10-15 years old. and I have dumped a lot of money in it, not sure where to go from here.
Do you have any ideas?

I unplugged the photo eye, and the stove will not stay lit. So it is working as far as i can tell. it also changes ohms when it sees the flame of a lighter. it does light, just lots of smoke.
Trying a new control board now, but not too sure it will work.

Thanks, the board is under warranty, so they will replace it. Just have my doubts, but do not know what else to check. If this does not work I guess the next is to figure out how to test amp draw on the motor. but I do not know what it should be.
thanks for the help

Glad to hear the board was on warranty.

While the photo eye may still function, it may no longer be reading accurately. Last time you cleaned the filter and lense of the eye? Something to think about if you are still having issues with the new board.

I cleaned them in January when I had the original issue. The stove does start and run, just fills the inside with smoke before it actually lights. I can not find any kind of an airflow diagram for this stove. I did buy the maintenance manual, it did not have it.