Traeger GBU070

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been lurking and since there are so few of us Traeger furnace heads here, I thought I would post up my install experiences to help others going the Traeger Pellet/COrn Furnace route.

I had a wood furnace in the house when we bought it. One year of humping cordwood did it for me, but ProPAIN is still really expensive here (Ontario Canada) and I would need to tank up and run lines. No NG where I am (pretty rural) so the only other options were oil (had it, wont have it again) or pellets/corn.

Did some research, then on a lark hit Kijiji, and found a Trager GBU070 for $700!

First blush? To good to be true. The ad said it included 35 feet of 4 inch double wall, and all the fittings and caps required to do a complete install. I put on my skeptical hat and drove out to meet the buyer, but have enough faith left in humanity to go withdraw $700 in cash in case the stars aligned and this thing wasn't a piece of junk.

Well when I got there I was blown away. The seller not only fired the unit up in his driveway, but walked me through all the settings he used, related his experiences tuning it (he used it to heat his workshop, and had moved to propane as he was spending allot fo time away in his retirement) but poured coffee down my throat the whole time.

He tossed in al the tools he made up to make cleaning the unit easier (he's an engineer) and even the original manual.

Needless to say, I grabbed it. It spent the winter in my garage as I wanted to use up my cord wood, and just a month ago we got it installed.

In the pictures you can see the furnace and flue. THose were installed and WETT certified by a local contractor, and I completed the ducting (well, output anyway so far LOL). You can see where the old out duct from the wood furnace basically just transferred right over to the new pellet stove. I have to recut the opening to the main distribution duct, and patch the old hole. Took 60 minutes and lots of duct tape.

Next (today) I am sourcing the sheet metal I need to get the intake sorted. Once that's in place I'll start really focusing on performance tuning ,though currently its running very well (not too cold here yet) and is running low smoke. Temps are around10C and -1C at night here now and I am going through about 40 pounds a day.

Settings:
Draft - MED
Cycle - 16
Draft Damper - 75% OPEN

More to follow!

Been lurking and since there are so few of us Traeger furnace heads here, I thought I would post up my install experiences to help others going the Traeger Pellet/COrn Furnace route.

I had a wood furnace in the house when we bought it. One year of humping cordwood did it for me, but ProPAIN is still really expensive here (Ontario Canada) and I would need to tank up and run lines. No NG where I am (pretty rural) so the only other options were oil (had it, wont have it again) or pellets/corn.

Did some research, then on a lark hit Kijiji, and found a Trager GBU070 for $700!

First blush? To good to be true. The ad said it included 35 feet of 4 inch double wall, and all the fittings and caps required to do a complete install. I put on my skeptical hat and drove out to meet the buyer, but have enough faith left in humanity to go withdraw $700 in cash in case the stars aligned and this thing wasn't a piece of junk.

Well when I got there I was blown away. The seller not only fired the unit up in his driveway, but walked me through all the settings he used, related his experiences tuning it (he used it to heat his workshop, and had moved to propane as he was spending allot fo time away in his retirement) but poured coffee down my throat the whole time.

He tossed in al the tools he made up to make cleaning the unit easier (he's an engineer) and even the original manual.

Needless to say, I grabbed it. It spent the winter in my garage as I wanted to use up my cord wood, and just a month ago we got it installed.

In the pictures you can see the furnace and flue. THose were installed and WETT certified by a local contractor, and I completed the ducting (well, output anyway so far LOL). You can see where the old out duct from the wood furnace basically just transferred right over to the new pellet stove. I have to recut the opening to the main distribution duct, and patch the old hole. Took 60 minutes and lots of duct tape.

Next (today) I am sourcing the sheet metal I need to get the intake sorted. Once that's in place I'll start really focusing on performance tuning ,though currently its running very well (not too cold here yet) and is running low smoke. Temps are around10C and -1C at night here now and I am going through about 40 pounds a day.

Settings:
Draft - MED
Cycle - 16
Draft Damper - 75% OPEN

More to follow!

I own a Traeger GBU070 and I am trying to find a service manual or something to show me how to replace the cutting blades. I see that there are two bolts holding them in but can't figure out how to get them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I own a Traeger GBU070 and I am trying to find a service manual or something to show me how to replace the cutting blades. I see that there are two bolts holding them in but can't figure out how to get them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All I have is the main manual, I don't know if a "service" manual exists.

I have attached my copy of the manual in PDF to this thread.

Attachments

• GBU070-manual.pdf
    396.2 KB · Views: 473
Reactions: Mueldog
Status
Not open for further replies.