Trailblazer Classic 1700.....first burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake coal burner said:
Your stove sat in your fire place just like mine did. I could not bring mine forward there was brick leveling stake sticking in the brick chimney about 5 feet up. Could not reach it. My Chimney was only 7 inches at the damper and above about 10 inches wide inside. If you can brig it out more by doing the arch Idea that will work ok. Is the front on the chimney looking at it from the front of the stove setting on the fire place damper plate? My chimney sits on the back of the damper plate for reinforce ment.. On your picture are these hot air ducts and cold air returns for fire place?

Hey there Burner.......

The brick is actually on a 4x4 angle iron (i tried to sketch it on the image) though i will take a closer look at it. And I had assumed that the grills in the photo are cold air returns and the hot air ducts, though i question their effectivness, which is why I don't hesitate to cover them with stone.....

wryfly said:
Fake coal burner said:
Your stove sat in your fire place just like mine did. I could not bring mine forward there was brick leveling stake sticking in the brick chimney about 5 feet up. Could not reach it. My Chimney was only 7 inches at the damper and above about 10 inches wide inside. If you can brig it out more by doing the arch Idea that will work ok. Is the front on the chimney looking at it from the front of the stove setting on the fire place damper plate? My chimney sits on the back of the damper plate for reinforce ment.. On your picture are these hot air ducts and cold air returns for fire place?

Hey there Burner.......

The brick is actually on a 4x4 angle iron (i tried to sketch it on the image) though i will take a closer look at it. And I had assumed that the grills in the photo are cold air returns and the hot air ducts, though i question their effectivness, which is why I don't hesitate to cover them with stone.....

Just a thought on the grills you might want to pull the covers off and see if they have fans mounted in them. If not you could put a box fan or some small fan in front off the bottom grill and see if you get air out off top move it to the other side do the same. Stove does not have to be running at this time. If you get air out of the top vents. Try it some time when the stove is burning the same way Use a cheap thermometer when stove is burning for a while top and bottom temperature difference. My friend has the same grill set up with fans on his fire place with glass doors in front and his works great for heat ditrabution

that's a great idea. I have taken the grates off in the past to clean inside and there definately isn't a fan located inside, but would probably be pretty easy to retro-fit one inside. I'll definately look into that before covering them with stone.

thanks!!

wryfly said:
that's a great idea. I have taken the grates off in the past to clean inside and there definately isn't a fan located inside, but would probably be pretty easy to retro-fit one inside. I'll definately look into that before covering them with stone.

thanks!!

You are welcome.
You did a great job on the install. Don't let the size of stove fool you. It gives off heat burns clean. Did you install a fire place damper block of plate? You might want to put one of those cheap oven thermometer from super market food store Put on top of stove to see how hot its getting. That little stove can fool you on the temperature its running. Keep us posted with you progress on the rock face and how the stove is doing for heating. We like to see pictures too.

I didn't install a block off "plate", but I did cut a piece of Kaowol (however that's spelled) to fit in the opening. If the feeling that it's not sufficient, I can easily pull it out and get a solid surface up there.

As for the thermometer.....is there a concern that it will get too hot in that space?

On an asthetic note.......I was just looking at the old pictures of the stove and was impressed with the outcome of the finish.....as I pat myself on the back :)

wryfly said:
I didn't install a block off "plate", but I did cut a piece of Kaowol (however that's spelled) to fit in the opening. If the feeling that it's not sufficient, I can easily pull it out and get a solid surface up there.

As for the thermometer.....is there a concern that it will get too hot in that space?

On an asthetic note.......I was just looking at the old pictures of the stove and was impressed with the outcome of the finish.....as I pat myself on the back :)
quote author="wryfly" date="1253899975"]I didn't install a block off "plate", but I did cut a piece of Kaowol (however that's spelled) to fit in the opening. If the feeling that it's not sufficient, I can easily pull it out and get a solid surface up there.

On an asthetic note.......I was just looking at the old pictures of the stove and was impressed with the outcome of the finish.....as I pat myself on the back :)[/quote]

The stove will run a little hotter in there. The thermometer will let you know if you are over firing stove and give you control of your damping settings for a clean burn and comfort zone for the room you are in. Some times when you load the stove wood burns at a different rate. It can be a safety feature to. A lot of wood burning people also install a flu thermometer for out going flu temp. But you can not do that With set up. I found with stove top them, on top of that stove in the center close to the exhaust the is not that much difference in exhaust flu temp. I even put the old oven thermometer on top of my gas unit even thow is all controlled by thermostat and safety features.

Fake coal burner said:
wryfly said:

quote author="wryfly" date="1253899975"]I didn't install a block off "plate", but I did cut a piece of Kaowol (however that's spelled) to fit in the opening. If the feeling that it's not sufficient, I can easily pull it out and get a solid surface up there.

The stove will run a little hotter in there. The thermometer will let you know if you are over firing stove and give you control of your damping settings for a clean burn and comfort zone for the room you are in. Some times when you load the stove wood burns at a different rate. It can be a safety feature to. A lot of wood burning people also install a flu thermometer for out going flu temp. But you can not do that With set up. I found with stove top them, on top of that stove in the center close to the exhaust the is not that much difference in exhaust flu temp. I even put the old oven thermometer on top of my gas unit even thow is all controlled by thermostat and safety features.[/quote]

Have you had a chance to see how your stove is going to heat your needs? How about the air ducks in the wall?

Fake coal burner said:
Fake coal burner said:
wryfly said:

The stove will run a little hotter in there. The thermometer will let you know if you are over firing stove and give you control of your damping settings for a clean burn and comfort zone for the room you are in. Some times when you load the stove wood burns at a different rate. It can be a safety feature to. A lot of wood burning people also install a flu thermometer for out going flu temp. But you can not do that With set up. I found with stove top them, on top of that stove in the center close to the exhaust the is not that much difference in exhaust flu temp. I even put the old oven thermometer on top of my gas unit even thow is all controlled by thermostat and safety features.

Have you had a chance to see how your stove is going to heat your needs? How about the air ducks in the wall?[/quote]

The stove is really doing great with heat output. Even though it's so deep into the firebox. Doesn't look like I'll be getting into the brick work until the spring, so we'll have to deal through this winter. With the few fires that we've made so far I've definately noticed the dryness in the air, and I will not be able to put our steamer on it because of where it sits. Looks like I'll have to find a little humidifyer this season.

Anyway....the wife is warm (which means happy), and I'm stoked on the wood efficiency. The only thing I need to work through now is build up on the glass during an over night burn. I did an over-nighter last week as a test and woke up to a nice warm room and a great bed of coals, but the glass was dirty around the sides and lower perimeter. I assume that I will need to keep the air more open.......trial and error I guess.

wryfly said:
Fake coal burner said:
Fake coal burner said:
wryfly said:

Have you had a chance to see how your stove is going to heat your needs? How about the air ducks in the wall?

The stove is really doing great with heat output. Even though it's so deep into the firebox. Doesn't look like I'll be getting into the brick work until the spring, so we'll have to deal through this winter. With the few fires that we've made so far I've definately noticed the dryness in the air, and I will not be able to put our steamer on it because of where it sits. Looks like I'll have to find a little humidifyer this season.

Anyway....the wife is warm (which means happy), and I'm stoked on the wood efficiency. The only thing I need to work through now is build up on the glass during an over night burn. I did an over-nighter last week as a test and woke up to a nice warm room and a great bed of coals, but the glass was dirty around the sides and lower perimeter. I assume that I will need to keep the air more open.......trial and error I guess.[/quote]

Can you put a shallow metal non rust bowl on top of the stove full of water. I did that and it helped on the dry air. Have to fill it 3 times or more a day. Dollar store or thrift store for bowl.
2 inches by 7" dia. or what ever will fit.

Glad its working out for you. That little stove can put out some heat. I had to clean glass every morning to see the fire.

Have you played with a fan in front of the wall air intake?

ya I thought of using a shallow pan but was concerned with the moisture reacting with the brick lintle just above it or having the moisture going up into the fire box and messing with the block off plate.

Havn't tried the fan in those vents yet. I planned on giving that a shot next week when i return from our moose hunt!!

What is the startup proceedure for a trailblazer ?

Fan starts easy enough but can't figuire out the auger.

Plastic button missing on start auger button.

Posted this on another string that has identical picks of the control panel.

wryfly said:
Fake coal burner said:
Fake coal burner said:
wryfly said:

Anyway....the wife is warm (which means happy), and I'm stoked on the wood efficiency. The only thing I need to work through now is build up on the glass during an over night burn. I did an over-nighter last week as a test and woke up to a nice warm room and a great bed of coals, but the glass was dirty around the sides and lower perimeter. I assume that I will need to keep the air more open.......trial and error I guess.[/quote]

How is that stove working out this winter?

:roll: How did the Trail Blazer work out for you this winter? Did you have to use any fans?

i see that you have the manual for the trailblazer 1700, i need the installation clarence for it from the manual or the plate fr the insurance co. can you help

Yes I have the stove manual. Clarence is listed on the plate on the back of stove. I will get it for you in the morning Sept. 08 2011. Stove is in my shed. Just setting there. Will that be ok for you?

Trail Blazer Diagram to get clearances from plate. Let me know which numbers on diagram you need so I can get you the clearance notes

Attachments

• Trail Blazer (Small).bmp
    965.1 KB · Views: 464
i needthe clearances for fig. 1, back wall and side wall, can you make a copy of te plate or the manual, i need it for the insurance company, this way it will show the name of the stove and manufacturer. i really appreciate this, i will probably need the floor protector also, they are real painsin the ass, i have been argueing with them for weeks because they can't read my plate, bill

Clearances are only on the silver tin plate only, not in the manual You get a glare on the silver plate when you take a picture of it. Have any ideas how to do a copy?
The clearances are minimum in inches.
Back of stove is 20 Side of stove is 30 inches both sides

Hearth is 8 inches from stove sides back 8 inches front 18 inches
The plate states that the hearth pad be 3/8 min. thickness non combustible material or equivalent. or as code in jurisdiction See Diagram

Testing Lab Braun Intertec North West inc.
Port Land, Oregon USA

Attachments

• Trail Blazer (Small).bmp Clearances.bmp
    723.8 KB · Views: 398
i am trying to take a picture with my camera, will let you know how i make out, try taking picture covering flash with black tape, will talk to you tomorrow, thanks bill

I had my neighbor come over to look at the plate she does photography for a company. She said she thinks she can do it. She is going to do it 9-9-2011 about noon. She has the digital soft ware to get rid of the glare etc. Wish her luck. I will send it to you if it works out or post it.
I will Let you know the out come Hang in there Keep us posted.

She took the picture on the information plate for the trail blazer stove you can read all of the plate on the camera. She said she will put them in computer tomorrow and do some adjustments so they are better to read. Will be posting them 9-10-2011. Hopefuly.

I have the file with about 6 pictures of the plate from light to dark. I will post the light one on Hearth net. But the pictures have to enlarged in paint or fax viewer or some program to be able to read all of it. If you will PM your e-mail address I can send the whole file to you or just the best pictures on the Trail Blazer plate I just got them about 5 minutes ago. It took awhile to get them back to be able to read. Let me know how they turn out for you and the insurance company. Thank for the patience on waiting. Allen

Attachments

• DSC_6885 (Small).jpg
    DSC_6885 (Small).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 451
Status
Not open for further replies.