Trailer brakes & bearings.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking the same thing. Hook the +12DC to the battery to charge it.
I'd like to put a winch on the front so I could winch logs on the trailer.
Weld a tow hitch receiver & then plug in a winch or other tools.
Somebody put one on the front & put a 2' trailer ball to hook the log splitter to , thought it was a good idea

Got all 4 hubs done. Cleaned & greased bearings, new seals. new grease. adj the brakes.

View attachment 94302 View attachment 94303
Hooking the 12V Battery up to the Aux 12V circuit won't work as Nate pointed out. But there are other ways to keep that battery charged. Travel Trailers do it but you won't have the luxury of an enclosed trailer to protect all the electronics.

Maybe a couple ideas here for you Dave. ;)

BTW: I so want one of those trailers. It's a Featherlite 3110 and you had better be sittin' down if you are pricing one out.

http://www.fthr.com/flatbed-commercial-utility-trailers/model3110-flatbed-trailer/

Mech... Know all about the 6 pin being wired wrong. Towed a trailer 10+ miles before I realized the brakes were dragging... From smoke rolling off the trailer wheels! They must have been out if adjustment or worn cause it didn't pull hard. My trailer will put you teeth in the steering wheel if full power goes to the brakes!​

Even better when said trailer has a wiring fault causing an intermittent open circuit. Plugged it in, took off, all was good. First bump proved me wrong. !!!:mad:

Why the flat blade terminals, instead of the round pins like a big truck uses? Been a PITA for me more than once, and doesn't make any sense to me.

Flat blade connectors are RV, They are more common than you think. Most of the new equipment trailers come with them and almost all new pickups come with them. The Tractor-trailer (round pin) connectors and the smaller round (4&6 pin) are actually odd in cases in the rental business.

Looks like it might do the trick for you Dave. I might be worried about having a connection between the truck and trailer battery while using the winch, not sure if that would burn out the charger? I would think they have some kind of overload protection built into it.

EDIT: I see now that the specs do indeed mention overload protection from both ends of the harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.