Transition from capped masonry chimney to class A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would much rather have stainless rivets than regular steel in this application. Maybe contact DuraVent if concerned?

"...when using a bare steel plate with a zinc rivet, the ratio of the cathode surface area to the anode surface area is large, and the rivet will fail rapidly because of accelerated corrosion. When combining a zinc plate with a stainless steel rivet, the area ratio between the cathode and anode is reversed, and although more surface area is affected, the depth of penetration is small; the fastener should not fail because of corrosion."
http://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/in-contact-with-other-metals
I read the same page, and was going to post it, but nah....

Thanks everyone for your input.

I like the idea of using angle iron or an independent steel plate to support the transition anchor plate although I was wondering if raising it off the masonry stack, even by a little, changes the seal and the way the flue operates.

I thought I read in a thread somewhere that someone specifically chose Selkirk because their transition anchor plates are 25x25. I couldn't find such an item and I had trouble figuring out what is what amongst their product lines. I've read people saying great stuff about metalbestos, but I found a whole array of sure temp, ultra temp, super vent, etc. Which of these product lines is the one I'd actually want?

Are there other options I should consider besides Selkirk, duravent, and Olympia?

The steel plate should be siliconed to the chimney, then the class A anchor plate siliconed to the steel plate. Use a good quality silicone like GE Silicone II and no water is getting through there. It will be a sealed unit. Even it it wasn't it wouldn't effect draft which is dependent on the seal of the liner to the class A. FWIW I didn't find an equivalent transition plate in the Selkirk catalog. Did you get a part number?

Status
Not open for further replies.