Travel trailer slide leaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
I'm so glad there is a spot here to ask any questions we stumble upon that are not wood stove related.

We have a 2016 KZ Vision 23' Travel Trailer.

Ever since we got it the thing has leaked from the slide. We bought it New and the dealer tried to fix it but it still leaks.

We are out of warranty. It leaks open and closed both.

And it leaks a good amount of water.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

The dealer couldn’t even get it to stop leaking? This doesn’t sound simple. Maybe another dealer. Once the water damage occurs it’s just about trash.

The dealer couldn’t even get it to stop leaking? This doesn’t sound simple. Maybe another dealer. Once the water damage occurs it’s just about trash.

So far we have been able to keep it from doing any damage. It's been leaking onto the linoleum floor so we can just keep it wiped up.

The dealer never seems to be able to duplicate the problem when I bring it in.

Being out of warranty I don't really want to pay their $105 an hour for them to guess what's wrong.

Was thinking that folks have had problems with slides leaking and could give me some things to check.

If you had the dealer do the work and it was documented under warranty work you could try calling the manufacturer and see if they can help. I’ve heard about a few people that have been successful in doing this as the warranty repair never worked if it’s leaking from the same spot.

But if they documented it saying they couldn’t duplicate it then it might be harder to do. Worth a shot in my opinion.

Does it leak with it in or out? Or both?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Reactions: saewoody
If you had the dealer do the work and it was documented under warranty work you could try calling the manufacturer and see if they can help. I’ve heard about a few people that have been successful in doing this as the warranty repair never worked if it’s leaking from the same spot.

But if they documented it saying they couldn’t duplicate it then it might be harder to do. Worth a shot in my opinion.

Does it leak with it in or out? Or both?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

It's leaks both in and out.

Have you been on the roof and made sure that any seals are not cracked or that the side molding that transitions from the side to roof isn’t leaking in that area or gapped?

Is it leaking inside around the slide on either end onto the floor or is it leaking in the slide out floor itself?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Have you been on the roof and made sure that any seals are not cracked or that the side molding that transitions from the side to roof isn’t leaking in that area or gapped?

Is it leaking inside around the slide on either end onto the floor or is it leaking in the slide out floor itself?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

It seems like it's leaking through the seals that surround the slide if that makes sense. Basically the rubber that touches the slide when it's in the out position.

It could be leaking there if it doesn’t sit flat and firm against the slide and if the side ones end up on the outside of the top one. Or if they are cracked or not coming all the way out when the slide is extended.

But you also said it leaks when in. When in those really don’t do anything but the slide should have bulb seals around the outside of the trim that should be compressed evenly all along the slide especially on the top.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

It could be leaking there if it doesn’t sit flat and firm against the slide and if the side ones end up on the outside of the top one. Or if they are cracked or not coming all the way out when the slide is extended.

But you also said it leaks when in. When in those really don’t do anything but the slide should have bulb seals around the outside of the trim that should be compressed evenly all along the slide especially on the top.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I will check the bulb seals tomorrow. The slide is in right now and under a tarpaulin for winter.

The worst leaks are when the slide is out. I wonder if the side seals are outside the top seals...that makes sense when it's out

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

One thing I noticed the other day was it seemed like the top of the slide was out slightly farther then the bottom? Think this is normal?

One thing I noticed the other day was it seemed like the top of the slide was out slightly farther then the bottom? Think this is normal?

In or out?

If in then that could be an issue as the seal isn’t sealing very well. Mine when in is tighter up top than the bottom and was the same on our other trailer too.

If out then it shouldn’t really matter much unless it is extreme enough to not be level on the inside.

Either way could be a slide adjustment issue.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I bought 3 new campers and all of them leaked! I did fix them though.
My last one had too much sealing crap they use in the vertical channel for the power awning, this caused the channel to fill and water got in through the power wire in the channel.
Is it fiberglass smooth exterior or corrugated aluminum?
The slide roof should have a pitch to it, stick a level on it where ya have it parked just to see if water is flowing the wrong way.
Water can come in from anywhere such as lights or speakers and just work its way to where you are seeing it. Maybe tilt the back or front down to see if its still leaking in that area.
Become one with the leak! You will find it

I bought 3 new campers and all of them leaked! I did fix them though.
My last one had too much sealing crap they use in the vertical channel for the power awning, this caused the channel to fill and water got in through the power wire in the channel.
Is it fiberglass smooth exterior or corrugated aluminum?
The slide roof should have a pitch to it, stick a level on it where ya have it parked just to see if water is flowing the wrong way.
Water can come in from anywhere such as lights or speakers and just work its way to where you are seeing it. Maybe tilt the back or front down to see if its still leaking in that area.
Become one with the leak! You will find it

It is smooth sided. I'm 99% sure it's coming from the slide area. Just figuring out exactly where, how the seals are supposed to work, and a way to fix it right now eludes me.