Tree branching and pruning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I was told many years ago that a branch from a young tree will always remain at it's current height, rather than rising with the growth of a tree. In other words, trees grow from the branch tips, not from the base/trunk. So, if your young tree has a low branch that's already getting in your way, best to get rid of it sooner than later, it won't be moving up the trunk with age.

I assume this is mostly true, but does it hold for all species?

Okay. Sounds like I should start trimming these low branches. They say if you're trying to promote growth, best to do it in winter, so spring energy is spent more on growth than on pushing out foliage on branches you'll be taking off anyway. But that ship has sailed, and I see no other valid reason to wait for winter. So, that may happen this week, as I'm also pruning some of my more mature trees and filling a trailer with the debris to take for mulching.

Just found this, pretty cool:

They can grow to the light ie you can train the new growth to grow up but the branch won’t get any higher on the trunk.

Good picture of where to make the cut. Don’t cut in to the branch collar.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes cut them off as soon as the tree will have enough remaining foliage. Obviously if your young tree is 4 feet tall, you should not cut off all the branches just because they are below 4 feet. Pruning technique (location of cuts, avoid bark tearing, etc) is critical for healing and tree health, and becomes more critical when dealing with larger limbs.

Last edited:
Yes cut them off as soon as the tree will have enough remaining foliage. Obviously if your young tree is 4 feet tall, you should not cut off all the branches just because they are below 4 feet. Pruning technique (location of cuts, avoid bark tearing, etc) is critical for healing and tree health, and becomes more critical when dealing with larger limbs.
Thanks! Yeah, these are all maybe 15-30 feet tall, at this point. I planted them as 6-8 footers in 2020, but with bi-weekly irrigation and bi-yearly fertilization, they've really rocketed up.

Wow 30 feet, prune away. Try to promote open branching by removing branches that grow toward the center, anything that could be rubbing together, and vertical suckers. And always use the 3-cut method described in EbS-P's link 👍

Reactions: semipro
Filled a 16 foot closed-side landscape trailer to overflowing today, actually had to mash it down with the front end loader a few times. Thought these trimmings weighed nothing, but between all the branch trimmings and a few shrubs I pulled last week, the 7k lb. trailer is squatting pretty good. Going to take it to the local mulching plant, per @begreen recommendation.

I took a ton of lower growth off the walnut trees that are dotting out front yard. They were really starting to block the view of the house from the street, and vice versa.

walnut trees
If Black Walnut trees, beware the juglone. It can cause issues for humans as well as other plants. It may be better to burn than use for mulch. Woodworkers are also advised to wear respiratory protection when working with Black Walnut.

If Black Walnut trees, beware the juglone. It can cause issues for humans as well as other plants. It may be better to burn than use for mulch. Woodworkers are also advised to wear respiratory protection when working with Black Walnut.
Oh, quite familiar with them. I forget the count, but I must have more than 50 black walnuts in my yard, and I've been living under them most of the last 30 years. Used to have a lot more, before Hurricane Sandy did some land clearing for me.

Over the years I've had to learn what grows well below them, and what to avoid planting near them. No sensitivity to it, thankfully, I pick up tens of thousands of walnuts every year in my harvesters and by rake. Some of the floor joists in my house are even made of black walnut, it being so prevalent here.

Reactions: semipro