tree id...elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
i believe this is elm??? could be wrong...thanks.

Attachments

• elm.jpg
    elm.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 122
It's doesn't look like white elm. Could be red (slippery) elm from a very mature tree, but would need more pics and info to make an accurate ID. Bark like that can come from several different types of trees.

Reactions: Kosmonauts
It's doesn't look like white elm. Could be red (slippery) elm from a very mature tree, but would need more pics and info to make an accurate ID. Bark like that can come from several different types of trees.
Thanks for that...posted photo of the whole tree above it is definetely old and a friend asked if I wanted it for firewood...

Well its still a bit hard to tell. If the branching is opposite it's either a maple or ash. I can't tell if there are any leaves at the top, but if yes an oak might be in play. One thing about yard trees....... they are notorious for being horrible to split and as knarly as that thing looks, I'd say you'd have some fun with it. There are a lot of other ID indicators, but more close up picks and buds would help, as would an end grain/split pic, but I understand wanting an ID before felling it.

Well its still a bit hard to tell. If the branching is opposite it's either a maple or ash. I can't tell if there are any leaves at the top, but if yes an oak might be in play. One thing about yard trees....... they are notorious for being horrible to split and as knarly as that thing looks, I'd say you'd have some fun with it. There are a lot of other ID indicators, but more close up picks and buds would help, as would an end grain/split pic, but I understand wanting an ID before felling it.
Well, regardless it sounds like it's definetely hardwood. So I'm gonna go for it I think. Thanks a ton dude

Well, regardless it sounds like it's definetely hardwood. So I'm gonna go for it I think. Thanks a ton dude
No prob. Update with some pics when you get it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.