• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beb715

Aug 11, 2016
Virginia
I need some help identifying the type of tree I recently had cut down. I originally thought it was a maple but now I am unsure. i should haven't taken a picture of the leaves before they died. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 294
Not so great pics but I would guess soft maple, unless the tree next to your stump is same type. Then I would say sweet gum. Was it hard to split?

I'm 90% certain the tree beside it is sweetgum. The dead leaves on the tree that was cut appeared to be maple, but it is really hard to tell because I didn't look until the leaves were dead. It is pretty difficult to split the large pieces near the base if the tree. There pretty twisted but don't seem as stringy as I'd expect with sweetgum. The guy I had cut the tree said it was a maple ( I couldn't cut it myself since it's too close to the house). Splitting the smaller branches weren't bad. I've split maple before but it wasn't as difficult as this one. The reason I'm second guessing the tree type is because of the difficulty splitting. Do sweetgums always produce balls? Thanks for your help.

A few of the twigs coming out of the branches in the trees were opposite which made me think it's in the maple family, but some are alternate (or appear that way if the other side broke off)

Thanks for the responses. i should have payed more attention to the tree before I had it cut. I can def tell what an oak or hickory tree is because I deer and squirrel hunt. I'm kicking myself for not paying attention to this tree but it had carpenter ants in it and I didn't want it to fall on the house. I'll attach a better picture of a leaf that came off of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 229
Red Maple....

I agree with others that this is red maple. The bigger rounds are going to be difficult to split just because of all the knots that come with age and the greater mass. I always thought maple was easy to split until I got a load of huge rounds from a tree service and I discovered that old knotty wood is difficult to split no matter what the species.

Status
Not open for further replies.