Tree ID ( no picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Jan 12, 2013
Central Pa
I have some wood that is very fragrant. I remember when I was splitting it, it giving a very fragrant smell. I am sure I put some in the stove the other day and the wife commented on the smell. If I come across some more I ll take a picture. If I remember correctly it kinda of had a locust look to it but not as tightly grained. It has a dark deep bark and the grain has that green locust look. Anybody have any ideas what it might be ?

Sassafras?
That's the first thing I thought, too. Does it smell like Hall's Mentho-Lyptus cough drops? Does it crackle and pop in the stove? The inner bark is orange in color...

Ill have to wait till I come across it again. Its mixed in with everything. I just remember when I was splitting it that I noticed an unusual smell. I just asked my wife what it smelled like. She said Pine-sol. LOL maybe it is pine. I don't remember cutting any but it could have been mixed in. Does regular old pine have a strong odor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.