Tree ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therivermonster

Burning Hunk
Dec 10, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hello everyone! If you can, please ID these two trees:

There are a number of logs on the ground of this type, and a number of standing. I believe it is Cotton Wood.

There are a number of these trees standing:

Thanks for all the help!

First is Crottonwood, I think; Second, need a close-up of the leaf clusters. About all I can tell is that they are lance-shaped. Bark pic may or may not help, being that they look like young trees. And then there's the "out west factor..." :confused:

Quaking Aspen bark and Big tooth Aspen leaves.
Populus grandidentata or something like that. Cottonwood is in that group, a leaf closeup helps to narrow it down.
But even young cottowoods here have rough bark.
Aspens make those clone colonies

Looks nothing at all like Big-toothed Aspen leaves.

No the leaves look more like White poplar or Populus alba. The leaves are densely hairy on the undersides...like white felt.
Quaking Aspen, Cottonwood, Big toothed Aspen and White poplar are all in one open field near my horsebarn. I have read that these trees cross polinate and readily hybridize. We need a leaf closeup...but the OP has probably moved on to another tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.