Tree ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
NC mountains near Asheville.
IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG

That was my first thought. And we have lots of black walnut here on the mountain. But the heart wood is not dark enough. Definitely not black walnut.

I'm also thinking black walnut.

elm

Reactions: johneh and Lakeside
Elm, huh? I just looked at a picture of elm leaves and I think you are right. That would be ironic, I just said in another thread 3 days ago, I had never cut an elm. They say to wait until dry to split it.

Ya, I knew I recognized the leaf but my mind didn't connect the dots. It is elm. It must be red elm. Red elm is the best of the elms in terms of btu rating and ease of splitting. Somewhere around a 21 btu rating. I get quite a bit of Siberian elm which is just a little below Red elm. Good thing you got a splitter.

You will know if it's red elm because the bark will separate in spots while you are splitting it and it wl have a very light colored layer under the bark that is mucousy feeling.

Here is a fresh cut price of red elm that I bucked up a while ago. Everything was similar to this on the tree with the dark heartwood going out near the edge of the logs. It split incredibly easy once I figured out to work my way around the outside.

20210317_145955.jpg

That looks just like it doublebogey. This tree looked healthy, but right at ground level it was quite rotten. It blew over in a windstorm 2 days ago.

Today my brother tried to split a piece of the elm from the OP, just to see how hard it would be to split when green. He gave it one whack and it split easily. Small piece about 12 inch diameter. Very wet wood.

IMG_5084.JPG IMG_5087.JPG