Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is indeed Sugar, it’s got a respectable 24 M BTU/cord, same as Red Oak, and better than Cherry at 20 M. Hickory and Mulberry do have serious firepower though. Got end grain and split pics?

I'm going off info provided here that it is Sugar...
I wouldn't say it burns as well as Cherry, but the Hickory and Mulberry are great!

Here are some pictures though.
(Pretty small round, about 4")

Rob

ry=400

ry=400

Rob, I tap over 70 sugar maples here in mid Michigan each spring. Along the "route" we have a few dead sugar maples and it just doesn't look the same. I could be wrong but its firewood nonetheless!

That is maple. I'm 99% sure. It's not Norway, silver, or sugar. My parents have some maple trees in their yard that were planted in the mid 90s and they are already 2/3 that size. Is there a chance that this is a similar kind of hybrid? Is it pretty light?

Brewmonster said:
Well done, Rob! Since you got paid to remove the tree, maybe you can go buy some really good beer to go with those beautiful morels!
Are you suggesting that MBL is not actually Milwakee's best? Blasphemy. There is something to be said for a beer that is cheaper than bottled water. I'm not sure what that something is, though...

Dan,

The dry stuff is pretty light.

It burns well, but not for a very long time like Cherry or Hickory.

We have hundreds of silver Maples, and as you suggest, it isn't one of them!

The tree was in a residential area (front yard) so could have come from a nursery and be about anything under the sun...

Rob

BTW, when I google fast growing hybrid maples, most of them have "Red maple blended with..." in the description.

definitely looks like sugar...its got that classic platey semi peeling bark on the trunk and more mature limbs.

48rob said:
The dry stuff is pretty light.
It burns well, but not for a very long time like Cherry or Hickory.
I'm burning Sugar and Cherry now. The Sugar is some dead upper branches that are already dry. The bigger branches and trunk will have to wait until next season. I noticed that some of this burns up almost as fast as the Cherry but I'm thinking that some of it may be starting to punk slightly and may not burn as long. I've burned some solid chunks too, and they burn a pretty long time...longer than my Cherry. I'll burn the Cherry as long as I can, just to smell that fragrant smoke.
:)

wood dope said:
Given the amount of fungus growing out of it, I am not all that suprised that it's heat value is low.
That one damaged section where the 'shrooms are may be a bit punky but I bet he gets a ton of rock-solid wood out of that puppy, and the bit of marginal stuff is good shoulder-season fodder.

Very little of the tree had punky wood, just the larger diameter pieces.
All the 10" and under wood is good, and the larger stuff is good inside once split up.
I just tossed the outer pieces into a pile to give away to a friend who wants chunks and small stuff for a very small antique stove

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.