Tree ID website

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
I looked that the ones this forums suggests...still not what I'm looking for. I down loaded VT's app, it sucks.

What is the motherload of ID websites?

IMHO the 'mother load' is going to be your personal knowledge and experience that can only come from observation and practice over time. Any website or book, of which there are plenty of good ones, can only show you so much. It takes time to learn because sometimes the defining characteristic listed in a book or website isn't there. They vary in appearance depending on age and growing conditions, leaves tend to not be there in the winter, buds, seeds and flowers come and go. I have not seen any website or book that will help you id by how it decays, yet there are plenty of people who can tell what a half rotted log is by its rotten appearance. If you want to get good and id species from a split you need to learn what grows in your area, be able to id them while they are standing up, and then carry that knowledge into identifying wood from the bark/cut end alone.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Virginia Tech is good. Based on your GPS readings it will bring up species in your elevation and location.
Leafsnap was designed for IPhone and they suppossedly are working on an Android version. Alot of effort has gone into Leafsnap.
I know of no other websites. Other than info available thru the federal government. If you Google " Silvics of North America" it should lead you to Forestry services.
The most interesting thing about trees is their cultural history and you have to dig for that.
One reference volumn that has been mentioned to me on different occasions is "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants"
Dont remember the author. Its supposed to be some kind of Opus.
I didnt purchase the volumn because its hand illustrated. I prefer photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.