tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1965

Sep 21, 2012
IMG_3915.JPGIMG_3917.JPGIMG_3919.JPG

Hi I live in Nova Scotia and have a tree in my yard that I can't ID , its about 25ft high and has wicked thorns on the branches( found them the hard way when I slipped walking by it) the thorns are about 1/2-3/4 inch.The tree is only about8-10 inches across at the base. it is currently covered with little white flowers right now. anyone have any ideas ?

ps the leaves are very small around 1 inch or less

Thank you, not sure what I'm going to do with it.

ouch! wicked thorns.

That's what we call English hawthorne, a really bad invasive species here in Oregon. I have cut a lot of them down and they do have good hard firewood when burned. But the thorns are really really nasty on them. They have red berries later in the year.

Your avatar dogs look nice.

Reactions: ScotO
Hawthorn. There are many different species, which you can tell apart by the leaves and some other clues. Here in the east we have lots of species so it can be tough to figure out exactly which species you have, but it is easy to tell it is one of the Hawthorns.

That's what we call English hawthorne, a really bad invasive species here in Oregon. I have cut a lot of them down and they do have good hard firewood when burned. But the thorns are really really nasty on them. They have red berries later in the year.

Your avatar dogs look nice.

One good thing to say about Hawthorn, it makes a dandy drag for clearing trails of debris!

yes the thorns are wicked, the tree stays for now, if it bites me again its coming down.

The dogs in the picture are my boys 2 yrs and 4 yrs old goldens unless I'm at work they're with all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.