Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
I thought this was dead ash but ,looking at the way the branches grew out now I'm not sure

IMG_20130725_193708.jpgIMG_20130725_193731.jpgIMG_20130725_193749.jpg

Bark looks like it could be poplar maybe? Not real sure

That bark looks real close to ash. Could it be an oak?

I'm leaning toward Oak, now that you are saying there are lots around. The limbs also make me think it's Oak. Only one way to tell...

Ash tends to produce lower limbs that point towards the ground. That and the criss-cross of the bark: Ash.

ash

Reactions: ScotO
Ash bark...

Bark looks like it could be poplar maybe? Not real sure
Poplar here has a light gray color at the bottom of the bark fissures.... I'm jumpin' on the Ash bandwagon. Like aansorge said, there are some classic 'diamonds' in that bark.

Pretty sure it's not oak and it's definitely not poplar - I'll say ash as well.

Does it have D shaped holes in the bark?

Poplar usually has a really straight trunk....

Thanks all
I thought it was ash
It is around 30ft from house , top part leaning slightly toward the house, got a pro that will drop it into the woods for me, for $75
Then , I , limb it ,buck it ,split it ,stack it , and burn it :)

Even without pics it would easily be identified as ash based on the Michigan location.

I was thinking the same thing, Woody! I'd have done it for HD for that price, being he's one of my buds on here.....but most pro's are gonna charge you a couple bills to do it....

Reactions: HDRock
Sounds cheap!
It is a good price
I was thinking the same thing, Woody! I'd have done it for HD for that price, being he's one of my buds on here.....but most pro's are gonna charge you a couple bills to do it....

I did think , if Scotty were closer I could get him to do it for a fair price.
This guy is retired from the power company , he dropped a group of 5 trees next to my pole barn for $300, one he had to climb and take down piece by piece.
He will probably have it dropped in 15 20 minutes, I just don't have the experience for this situation , if It had a nice lean away from the house I would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.