Tree Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This hill was open so I made a run up then down the backside, this is a Maple (pic 6990) but what kind is it?

The one Maple in pic 6991 is damaged so I think I'll take it.

Attachments

• 100_6989.JPG
    100_6989.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_6990.JPG
    100_6990.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_6991-001.JPG
    100_6991-001.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 170
Idk Zap, but seeing your woods reminds me of our old woods up in northern Michigan and me as a kid sitting next to my Grandfather in the old Doodlebug. Good times:)

It looks like the hard maple I have to cut up back in my woods. I'm no expert tho:(

Reactions: zap
Idk Zap, but seeing your woods reminds me of our old woods up in northern Michigan and me as a kid sitting next to my Grandfather in the old Doodlebug. Good times:)
Funny you mention the Doodlebug, the original owner had one, his son sold us the land, he always talks about the Doodlebug and going for a ride with his father.

Reactions: andybaker
Maples can be rather difficult to identify by bark alone, especially red vs. sugar. I can tell them apart when they are side by side, but alone, forget it. If you have time the easiest way that i know is to watch for when they seed. Red maples do it in the spring, sugar maple makes their seeds in the late summer/early fall.

Reactions: TimJ and zap
Zap, that is the new maple on the block. It's called northern curved maple. Burns really nice, very similar to hard maple.

Zap, that is the new maple on the block. It's called northern curved maple. Burns really nice, very similar to hard maple.
Out of Shape, we started x-country skiing but then we had a melt...then it froze again which ruined the trails until we received more snow, by that time I was doing recliner action.

At least you got some exercise by making that recliner go into recline. Then it takes some effort to get back up....

At least you got some exercise by making that recliner go into recline. Then it takes some effort to get back up....
If the weather holds today the stacking will start tonight, we have room for three cord in this stacking area so my goal is 1.80 cord this week which will open up the weekend for cutting.

This will be a better workout then the recliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.