Tree/Leaf ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Visited a friends church and he was showing me some tree's he'd like for me to remove for him...cell phone was in the car and all I managed to do was to grab 3 different leaves from the accompanying tree's.
I'm still very fuzzy on tree ID...sure could use some expert help.

Thanks
Reg
Frontside Leaves.jpg Backside.jpg

The top two leaves are almost certainly chestnut oak. The bottom leave from same tree? And Alder is not very high on BTU's. Given ur location it will be good for quick burning fires.

Reactions: ReggieT
all three leaves are oak varieties. top is def chestnut oak. second possibly chestnut, third looks like a hybrid oak they use in parks around here. i don't believe that alder grows in your area.

I appreciate that.
Out of the 3 Oaks identified which one would you guys say has the highest BTU output?

oak, oak, oak
Don't worry about the btu level. Oak is oak to me. It all needs time to dry out and after 2-3 years all of it will give good heat.

oak, oak, oak
Don't worry about the btu level. Oak is oak to me. It all needs time to dry out and after 2-3 years all of it will give good heat.
Hmm...unless it's red oak all I need is one year because of the intense heat and long summers and hot falls.
My wife's allergic to red oak...and btu counting is part of my wiring.

Hmm...unless it's red oak all I need is one year because of the intense heat and long summers and hot falls.
My wife's allergic to red oak...and btu counting is part of my wiring.

Of course drying time will vary due to location, climate, weather, etc. 1 year does not seem to be enough for me.

all of them are members of the white oak family.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm finding that once you take a close look at some leaves on trees, they can have all sorts of weird shapes, all from the same tree. Either Darwin is at work or we're all mutating to become freako's from the environment. :oops:

All oak.
I'll take a stab at the spp.
Top - swamp chestnut oak Quercus michauxii If you get a chance take a look at bark. If very blocky, then chestnut oak (acorns also large). If bark light/ grey, flakey/ scaley then chinquapin oak with narrower leaves, and if broader leaf, swamp chestnut oak.
Middle - looks like black oak Q. velutina. If so, much leaf variability within spp. and on same tree. Basal sprouts, that often grow in shade, can be much larger and lack deep sinuses. Look for tell-tale bristle-tips (red oak group). If bristle-tipped then not a white oak. Black oak bark is not plate-y like red oak bark. Dig into bark slightly with a pen knife. Black oak is orange beneath the black/ dark surface of bark (Hall-O-ween colors).
Bottom - Leaves look like Southern red oak (Quercus falcata), or a variety cherry-bark oak.

Since they're oak - they'll all burn well.

Reactions: TreePointer
I think cincyburner is closest (closest to my guesses, that is). First of all the post is from Alabama, where there are a bunch of oak species that we don't see farther north, but maybe are found in Cincy. I agree top one is Swamp White Oak. Second could be Black or Blackjack or Mossycup Oak. I agree the last one is an oak in the Red Oak group and Southern Red Oak or Cherrybark Oak seem like good guesses.

It doesn't matter, all are oak and will be very similar in BTU and seasoning requirements.

Reactions: porkchopexpress
I think cincyburner is closest (closest to my guesses, that is). First of all the post is from Alabama, where there are a bunch of oak species that we don't see farther north, but maybe are found in Cincy. I agree top one is Swamp White Oak. Second could be Black or Blackjack or Mossycup Oak. I agree the last one is an oak in the Red Oak group and Southern Red Oak or Cherrybark Oak seem like good guesses.

It doesn't matter, all are oak and will be very similar in BTU and seasoning requirements.

I think you're onto something with #2 - I was thinking blackjack as well. For the other two, I think Cincy's suggestions are good.

You guys inspire me...tremendous and informed feedback...I really appreciate it! :)
He's got a few 25-40 ft white ash tree's...I have no problem identifying them at all! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.