Tree of Paradise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donk4kyv

Dec 30, 2013
North central TN
I was given a trailer-load of paradise wood last spring, cut and delivered but not split. At first I wondered if it would even be worth the trouble to split and stack that stinky crap. It's very easy to split and I decided what the hell, anything will burn, so I split and stacked the stuff, ending up with almost two cords. Not sure how old it was, but plenty of end checking.

I tried burning some during the recent cold snap. I am happy to say it catches quickly, and burns HOT! It just doesn't last very long. Contrary to what I had heard, it leaves a fairly good bed of coals. I find it great for firing up the stove from a cold start, or for getting a good hot fire going quickly in the morning with just a few live coals left from overnight. Warms up the room in no time, and leaves enough of a coal bed to ignite longer burning wood, if I don't wait too long to add more fuel.

About the same as boxelder. We have loads of that stuff growing here, and I usually split and stack whatever nuisance trees I cut, which happens about every year. The burning qualities of paradise and boxelder seem pretty close to identical. Not great for long term heating, but bridges the gap between kindling and well seasoned hardwood, which can be stubbornly hard to ignite.

Don

I'm so used to burning lower btu woods that I get nervous when I don't have a good supply of it in some form or another.
Im starting to get curious about all my dead pine. It has higher btus than the poplar I usually cull.

The problem with Ailanthus and Sumac is a smoke associated with these two.
Worse than the smoke that burns your eyes from poplar.
Im talking about Staghorn not poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.